Moderator Control Panel ]

Possible death from infectious disease

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Possible death from infectious disease

Postby Verity » Wed May 13, 2009 9:43 pm

Can anyone help me get past a brick wall?

Family stories suggest that my G G Grandfather, Robert Marshall, died from an infectious disease, Typhoid or Cholera. I have been unable to trace his death which is between 1861 and 1871. He is recorded on the 1861 census living in Suffolk Street West in Camden, London. By 1871 his widow and daughter are living in Islington. By this time West Suffolk Street had been demolished to build the new St Pancras Station.

If Robert had contrated an infectious disease where might he have been transferred in those days, would he have been isolated, would there have been mass graves and no death registration?

I would be grateful for any leads that might allow me to break down my wall!
VerityB
Verity

RE: Possible death from infectious disease

Postby storyteller » Thu May 14, 2009 8:16 am

All deaths would be recorded.
Here's a possible death record for your Robert Marshall between the dates your looking for.

Camden town was in St Pancras

Surname Given Name District Volume Page[hr] [size="+1"]Deaths Dec 1867[/size] [hr]Marshall Robert Pancras 1b 27
Researching :- Kelley, Greenwood, Buckley, Loring,

Gooch, Rogers, Nicklen, Clarke, Hull and more ,lol
storyteller

Postby storyteller » Thu May 14, 2009 8:33 am

Found this small article that maybe of interest to you:-

[size="4"]Victorian London - Health and Hygiene - Hospitals - London Fever Hospital[/size] LONDON FEVER HOSPITAL, PANCRAS ROAD, NEW ROAD. Instituted 1803 for the gratuitous admission of poor person (not being parochial paupers) and domestic servants of subscribers, labouring under contagious fever, and residing in London or its neighbourhood. Parochial paupers, domestic servants of non-subscribers, and all inmates of public charities, (except medical hospitals), are admitted on payments determined by the committee. An appropriate vehicle is kept for the conveyance of patients to the Hospital. Subscribers of 1 guinea annually, or of 10 guineas in one donation, are governors. [right][i]Peter Cunningham, [/i]Hand-Book of London, 1850[/right]
Researching :- Kelley, Greenwood, Buckley, Loring,

Gooch, Rogers, Nicklen, Clarke, Hull and more ,lol
storyteller

Postby Verity » Sat May 16, 2009 10:30 pm

Thanks, I have seen the death certificate for the death you metion, but unfortunately it is not the correct one.

Interesting about the London Fever Hospital, would there be any records of patients?

VerityB
VerityB
Verity

Postby Editor » Mon May 18, 2009 9:43 pm

The records for the London Fever Hospital are held by the Royal Free Hospital Archives in London. You need to write to the archivist for an appointment to view the records at:

Archivist, Royal Free Hospital Archives Centre
'The Hoo'
17 Lyndhurst Gardens,
London NW3 5NU

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Return to General research queries