Moderator Control Panel ]

How? National Archives

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

How? National Archives

Postby callbrian » Wed May 06, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi,
I often find items relating to different aspects of research pointing me to the National Archives. When I enter the site I am so confused, I can never seem to find any items I need, I click on the catalogue and never know where to go from there. Has WDYTYA? published an article other than the bottom of pages 22-23 in the current issue.
What am I missing or am I just thick?
Regards
Callbrian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

RE: How? National Archives

Postby ksouthall » Thu May 07, 2009 4:03 am

Please give an idea of what type of records you are trying to find so I can help guide you through the Search screens.

Alternatively, post the information you have on the forum and I will search for you, then let you know how I did it and what I found.
ksouthall

Postby callbrian » Sat May 09, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi,
I believe you have already tried to help me with Michael Tynan and found nothing. I help out at local learning centre and we give up one afternoon per week to family / local history.
I have a couple of learners who are searching for family members born to service personnel in India and also to prison officers in London c 1860. (Cousins is the surname)
I wondered whether any information could be gleaned from the national archives.
Regards
callbrian
callbrian

Postby ksouthall » Mon May 11, 2009 6:06 am

Hello,

The National Archives holds records of British Army overseas births and baptisms. It also has indices for overseas marriages and deaths. The dates covered vary depending on the index, but some births are recorded from as early as 1761. You can search for these on FindMyPast.com if you have a subscription or pay per view credits. Unfortunately, I don't have a subscription for FindMyPast, otherwise I would look them up for you.

If you have the chance to go to TNA at Kew, they have computers with free access to FindMyPast.com. It is also possible your local record office or library may provide free access too, which would save you a journey.

I was lucky enough to know which regiment John Webdale's father had served in plus had an approximate date of birth and baptism from the IGI. This helped me identify the correct record straight away. The GRO Army Chaplains' Birth Indices do not list the father's regiment so you would need to know where your ancestor served in order to narrow your search.

Once I had the reference, I was able to order a copy of John Webdale's baptism record from the General Register Office online ordering service. It cost £7.00, the same price as the birth certificates of ancestors born in England.

The website addresses are as follows:-

[link=http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline]www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline[/link] - The National Archives Documents Online.

[link=http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp]www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp[/link] - Online certificate orders.

[link=http://www.familysearch.org]www.familysearch.org[/link] - Home page for the IGI.

I hope this helps with your searches.

ksouthall
ksouthall

Postby maura » Wed May 13, 2009 1:26 am

Hi there
You mention that you have people looking for family members born to service personnel in India. My husband's mother's family are called Cousins and her brother was born while they were in India around the late 30's. Is this of any interest to your researchers ?
maura

Postby callbrian » Wed May 13, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi Maura,
the Cousins, my learner was searching for was born in 1847 in Chr Saugar West Bengal.
Thanks anyway
Callbrian
callbrian

Postby callbrian » Wed May 13, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi,
thanks for the info, I am considering a subscription to findmypast as my ancestry subscription ends today.
callbrian
callbrian

Postby Editor » Thu May 14, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi Callbrian, you are not the only one who gets lost in the National Archive's website. I am planning to run a feature on how to use the site and I'll inform you when it is coming.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby callbrian » Fri May 15, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi Sarah,
thanks for the reply. I will look forward to the article.

callbrian
callbrian

Return to Genealogy chat