Moderator Control Panel ]

Lots of kids

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Lots of kids

Postby redblue » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:06 am

I'd like to see the 1851 census record of my great-great-great-great-great-uncle James Toovey's family of Watford, Hertfordshire.

I have seen the 1841 census of his family - James is an Innkeeper(age 31) with his wife(35), & children age 6,5,4,2 &1.

From christening records I have found that they had lots more children so in 1851 there may have been up to 12 children ages 16,15,14,12,11,9,7,6,6,4,2,0

There was also children b 1852 & 1855. So 14 children in total. All were girls except 3 (ages 6,5 & 1 in 1841). I wonder how many survived to adulthood? What were conditions like for them? overcrowded? did they work or to school?
redblue

RE: Lots of kids

Postby ksouthall » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:00 am

Hello,
I found the following details that you already had for 1841. I have included them as I wanted to check they are for the right James:-

[b]1841 Census[/b] The Town, Watford
James Toovey Innkeeper Age 31 Born Hertfordshire
Sarah Toovey Age 35 Born Hertfordshire
James Toovey Age 6 Born Hertfordshire
Joseph Toovey Age 5 Born Hertfordshire
Mary Ann Toovey Age 4 Born Hertfordshire
Clara Toovey Age 2 Born Hertfordshire
Henry Toovey Age 1 Born Hertfordshire

I have not found James or Sarah in the 1851 or 1861 Censuses yet. I am guessing their names may have been spelt wrong. Could you let me know where you think they were living and where they were born so I can try and find them that way?

Plese also confirm if the James listed above is the right one.
Thanks.
ksouthall

Postby redblue » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:33 am

1841 Census - right one [:)]

The father (age 31 in 1841) is sometimes listed as James Decimus Toovey and was born in Watford in 1810.

He married his wife Sarah (nee Howard) in 1833 in St Pancras Old Church, London.

All the children were christened in St Mary's Church Watford, so I assumed they still lived there in 1851 at least. It is possible that James migrated to Australia with his brother James & family in 1855, but I think this is unlikely.

A common misspelling is Tovey, though there are of course many others.

Thanks
redblue

Postby ksouthall » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:10 pm

I have found them in the 1851 Census, incorrectly indexed as Goodey. Living at The Rose and Crown Inn, Watford:-

James Toovey Age 41 Head Inn keeper Born Watford
Sarah Toovey Age 40 Wife Born Kensworth
James Toovey Age 16 Son Clerk Born Watford * Fine (?) Merchant's Clerk - unclear
Joseph Toovey Age 15 Son Scholar " "
Mary Ann Toovey Age 13 Daughter " " "
Emily Toovey Age 11 " " " "
Kate Toovey Age 8 " " " "
Jane Toovey Age 6 " " " "
Rose Toovey Age 5 " " " "
Alice Toovey Age 5 " At home " "
Jessie Toovey Age 3 " Left Blank " "
Fanny Toovey Age 2 " Left Blank " "

Also resident:-

John Toovey Age 43 Brother Superintendant of Railway Born Watford
Sarah Toovey Age 45 Sister-in-Law " " " 's Wife Born Tewin
Annie Toovey Age 22 Niece (unmarried) " " " 's Daughter Born Mortlake, Surrey

There were also six servants present, but I won't list them.

The children, Henry and Clara, listed in the 1841 Census have disappeared, so are either away at school, in service elsewhere or sadly no longer living. Further checks of the BMD Indexes or censuses would provide that information.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:26 pm

I have sent you a personal message, in case you would like me to email you the 1851 Census pages for the Toovey family.
ksouthall

Postby redblue » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:50 pm

[:)]Good news - Clara didn't die - she changed to Emily (listed on baptism records as Emily Clara.

[8|]Finding John Toovey was a surprise though - his age & birthplace match my records & his occupation fits (same as his eldest son)

[:'(]His wife was named Sarah but she would have been 43 (not 45), born in Clerkenwell Spa Fields, London (not Tewin, Hertfordshire) and most suprisingly I thought she had DIED in 1844 in childbirth. I will have to check my facts here!!!

[&:]His daughter Annie was 22 and birthplace of Mortlake, Surrey matches that of her 2 elder siblings. I have Census records for her older brother Decimus(24) who was living in Baldock, Herts, and it seems possible that Maria(23)& John(19), may have left home for work/marriage/or died and that Edward(14), Ellen(9) may be at school - as both were still alive.

Thanks for finding this for me :-)
redblue

Postby ksouthall » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:53 pm

I'm glad Clara didn't die. I've emailed the census pages to you. If there have been any problems receiving them, please let me know.

Perhaps the brother John married twice, to two different Sarahs?
ksouthall

Return to Genealogy chat