Moderator Control Panel ]

Your Help Needed

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Your Help Needed

Postby Daniel Cossins » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:36 pm

This week Alan is appealing for your help to find out more about a chain of grocers known as 'World Stores'.

In response to Alan's recent article about the rise of chain stores like Sainsbury's and Woolworths in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, one reader got in touch looking for information about the 'World Stores' chain that his father had worked at in the 1940s.

Alan, for once, had to admit complete ignorance. He is, hoever, eager to find out more, so please do post a response if you have any recollections about this intriguing chain of grocery shops.

Click [link=http://www.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare.com/localhistory.php]here[/link] to read the blog and have your say below
Daniel Cossins
Site Admin

RE: Your Help Needed

Postby Annie08 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:33 am

I remember a 'World Stores' being in Snodland, Kent (which is not that far from Maidstone). I wasn't very old, but do remember my mum taking me there when she got the shopping, I remember it as always being busy, this would have been the late 1960s to early 1970s. The premises has remained a grocers store - at one point I worked there when it was 'David Gregg' (early 1980s). It is now known as 'Always', but is part of the Co-Op group. The premises also had a 'Key Market' in the 1970s, but Mum says she always knew the premises as 'World Stores'. Sorry but I can't remember the one in Maidstone - too young!

Annie08
Annie08

Return to Local history