Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others
Post a reply

Greenfield in Sussex

Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:16 pm

[i](Im sorry if this posts twice as i was timed out when i just went to post so will try again!)[/i]

Please can someone help me trace James John Greenfield in Sussex. This is what I know:

Marriage cert - James John Greenfield Age 30, Labourer. Father John Greenfield (carpenter) married Cecelia Greenfield Age 21 on 24/12/1901 in Pulborough, Sussex.
Death cert - John Greenfield Age 52, Labourer - 06/04/1917 Infirmary East Preston Workhouse

1911 Census - John Greenfield Age 37, East Preston Workhouse with Cecelia and his family. There is no image available at present so cant check where he was born. Record office doesnt have any admission records for this period.

As you can see he could either be born in 1865, 71 or 74 ! Or any other date!

There is one birth for James John Greenfield b. 1864 Thakeham (Pulborough). This gives father John (carpenter) mother Mary nee Willmer. Ive traced this family on the census where James is recorded as John up to 1881 when (James) John is a tailor. So i dont think this is him and cannot find him on the 1891 census.

There are many James or Johns all born around the same time in the same area.

Opinions on where to go next or any help please.

Thanks, Lou

RE: Greenfield in Sussex

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi, The only marriage I can find for a James John Greenfield and Ceclilia is in Thakeham. Is this the one or do you have the actual certificate?

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi rosss009,

Yes thats the certificate that I already have. I have the marriage and death certificates for James John but unable to find a birth which ties in and having problems identifying him on the census. Pulborough comes under Thakeham which is why i thought the birth that I found was the correct one, but I cant prove that it is.

Thanks, Lou

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi, Sometimes it helps to look at the names of the witnesses at the wedding; this can give clues as to Brothers, Sisters, Mothers etc. I have found a few like this. Sandy

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:06 am

Hi,
No luck on that line either!
Witness 1 - George Gent who was married to Cecelia's sister Florence.
Witness 2 - Ada Elizabeth Wilkinson. I have no idea who this person was, I assume just a friend. On the 1901 census she is shown as a servant working in Pulborough, b. 1882 in Walworth, London

Lou
Post a reply