Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others
Post a reply

Townsend/McMahon

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:06 am

I am seeking more information about the parents of Ann Townsend,Born 1848. She married Philip McMahon(born 31st Jan 1847)in Manchester,Lancashire,England on 8th Jan 1870. On their marriage certificate,her fathers name and occupation,either wasn't known or was withheld.
Before they were married,Ann Townsend lived at 24 Marsh Street,I assume it is in Manchester,Lancs. Philip McMahon lived at 13 Sutton Street,Manchester and his occupation was a labourer. His father was also called Phillip(occupation was Cotton Doubler) and he was married to Ann Connor.
They were married at The Heath Parish Church,Manchester and the witnesses names were Alfred Chennozlei (?) and Sidonia Gorton.

RE: Townsend/McMahon

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:40 am

I have found Philip McMahon, wife Ann and one year old daughter, Sarah Ann, living in Manchester (Gains? Road or Crescent) in the 1871 Census. He was a labourer, she was a cotton weaver.
I have not been able to find either of them on the other censuses, although I have only had a quick look.
I have found a birth entry for an Ann Sutherland Townsend in 1847. Could this be your Ann? I think the details are as follows:-
[b]Year [/b]1847 [b]Quarter Apr-Jun[/b] District Manchester (1837-1924) [b]Volume [/b]20 [b]Page[/b] 829.
This may not be your Ann Townsend, however this is the only Ann Townsend with a birth entry in Manchester for about the right year. The use of Sutherland as a middle name may be a clue to her father's identity if she was illegitimate, however could also be another family name; e.g. maternal grandmother's maiden name.
If her father is not mentioned on the marriage certificate, this could be because she was illegitimate, which will make her very hard to trace. I will have another look and see if I can find her on either the 1851 or 1861 Census, but you may have to accept that you might not be able to trace her line further back without any documentary evidence.
I hope this is helpful.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:13 am

I have found an Ann Townsend in the 1861 Census as follows:-
Age 13. Born Manchester. Occupation: Helper to cotton weaver.
Stepdaughter of William Grimes, aged 39, butcher born in Manchester.
Mother: Jemima Grimes. Aged 36. Occupation Cotton Weaver.
Younger sister: Harriet Townsend. Aged 10. Born Manchester. Scholar.

In the 1871 Census, Ann McMahon (nee Townsend) was listed as a cotton weaver, however there were a lot of cotton weavers in Manchester at that time.

The address looks like Pot Street, New Cross, Manchester.

Willim Grimes married Jemima Townsend in 1853. Details as follows:-
[b]Year [/b] 1853 [b]Quarter [/b] Oct-Dec [b]District[/b] Manchester (1837-1924) [b]Volume [/b] 8d [b]Page [/b] 181

I will now check the 1851 Census again.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:30 am

Further to my previous post, I have found a Jemima Townsend in the 1851 Census, living in Pott Street, Manchester.
She was born in Manchester and aged 26. She was an unmarried "P. L. Weaver" (not sure exactly what that was.)
She was living with her grandmother, Ann Townsend, 79 year old housekeeper, born in Staffordshire.
There were three lodgers in the house.
Also in the house was another Jemima Townsend, aged 2, born in Manchester. She was the great-granddaughter of Ann Townsend, so very probably the daughter of Jemima.
I have not been able to find an entry for Jemima Townsend (b. abt. 1849) in the BMD Indexes. It is possible that the younger Jemima Townsend was recorded incorrectly in the census, so could be your Ann Townsend.
I may be barking up the wrong tree here with this family, so please check out my findings.
If anyone else has any suggestions, or has found Ann Townsend elsewhere in the censuses, please post on the forum.
In the meantime, would it be possible for you to get a copy of Ann Townsend and Philip McMahon's marriage details from the parish records? They may show her father's name if it was known. Alternatively, the vicar or registrar may have entered the name of William Grimes, the stepfather, by mistake which could be a reason why the name was removed from the marriage certificate. (I am assuming the information you already have came from the General Records Office?)
Again, I hope this helps.
Post a reply