Moderator Control Panel ]

First Post.,,,, Kevin Whalley.

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

First Post.,,,, Kevin Whalley.

Postby GailR » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:26 am

Hello everyone.

I am Gail, and this is my first post. I tried to join this site in the past, and failed! Who knows why!!.

Anyway, I have to say , that I have thoroughly enjoyed the last season. of WDYTYA.

Kevin Whalley's story, especially, was very interesting, and full of worthwhile, information.

I always lok forward to the next series.

I have been hooked, ever since Jeremy Paxman, discovered that one of his ancestors, had to live on hand outs,in Glasgow, following the death, of her husband, and, subsequent birth, of her other child.

If I have gotten this wrong, then I do apologise.

Gail x
Scotland- Connor-Addison-Gilchrist-Morrison//Stirling-Wylie-Pender-Coventry
Ireland-Wylie-Nicholl-Coventry-White-McBride-Steele
GailR

RE: First Post.,,,, Kevin Whalley.

Postby Editor » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi Gail,

I'm glad you enjoyed Kevin Whately's episode. We've got an interview with him in our April issue which comes out on Tuesday and in our May issue we are looking at some of the family stories they had to cut out of his show. He has some very interesting ancestors and they couldn't fit them all in!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

RE: First Post.,,,, Kevin Whalley.

Postby ksouthall » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:50 pm

My April issue has already arrived and I have had a quick read through the article on Kevin Whately. I am also looking forward to the article about the stories they could not include in the programme.
With reference to his programme, a while ago I used the Oxford University Alumni records (1715 - 1886) to find out more about my ancestor, Amos Crymes, who was vicar of Buckland Monachorum in Devon. He attended Exeter College, Oxford in the 18th Century. The information given is very detailed. It names his father, when he matriculated and the age he was at that time, plus says where and when he was buried.
People are listed in alphabetical order, and Amos's son is also listed on the same page.
The Oxford University Alumni records (1500 -1714) lists several Crymes which have enabled me to trace my family tree back even further, in conjunction with copies of parish records. The earliest Crymes listed was William Crymes, matriculated 26th October, 1599. It names his father as William and his son, Ellis (or Elizeus), from whom I am descended. I realise that I am very lucky to be able to use these sources. It's a shame few recent members of my family had such academic success! (Mind you, William and Ellis probably bought their way in.)
As may have been mentioned in the programme, if you find a pre-1900 vicar in your family tree, there is a fair chance he went to Oxford or Cambridge University, so it is well worth looking through university and ecclesiastical records to try and find out more information. Books on local history can also add detail to your findings. I have a book about Buckland Monachorum which mentions that Amos Crymes planted a lime tree for each of his surviving children in the vicarage grounds. This includes a tree for my great-great-great-great-grandmother, Honour.
ksouthall

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat