Moderator Control Panel ]

No Street Numbers

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

RE: No Street Numbers

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:13 am

Hi Folks,

I checked out Little Walsingham in 1901 and did find one Hairdresser (Zechariah Tyzack) but he was living in Church Street rather than the High Street. However, even if I had found him on the High Street, all the houses on the census just come under High Street (no numbers)! [:@]

However the search wasn't a complete waste of time. I notice that Zechariah Tyzack was born at Wells Next the Sea. Wells Next the Sea was my hairdresser grandfather's birthplace too; so perhaps Zechariah Tyzack taught my grandfather his trade!

Next time I'm at Norfolk Record Office, I'll see if they have old rate books for the Little Walsingham area. These may yield some information.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby sparrow hawk » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:06 pm

FHA,
So have you checked the 1891 census also to see if they tie in that way, also are they related in any way, just wondering.
But I am glad to have been of help to an expert like you!!
Sparrow Hawk
sparrow hawk

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi Sparrow hawk,

In 1891 my grandfather is a hairdresser and living at Wells but doesn't seem to be working for himself because it doesn't say 'own account' or 'at home' as it does on his other entries. As for Zachariah Tyzack, he is a Hairdresser/Newsagent on Bridewell Street in Little Walsingham - so no luck there I'm afraid.

It's going to have to be the rate books for my next move.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby familytreejunkie » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:13 am

You say your Father may have been born in the place in High Street, Walsingham... have you tried looking at his Birth Certificate? I had a similar thing with my Grandad and found his full address of birth on his birth certificate. This opened up a whole new avenue for me and enabled me to find other members of the family that he was staying with at the time.
Shara
familytreejunkie

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:13 am

Yes, I have checked Dad's birth certificate. I don't think they actually had door numbers then. I've been told that another of my ancestral towns and villages (Needham Market) didn't have door numbers either until later on.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby mrsaverage40s » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:26 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: FamilyHistoryAddict

Can someone help me with this Local History query? My father was born in Walsingham in Norfolk in 1894. I know the family lived in the High Street at Walsingham. I checked electoral records but they just list the family as living at High Street, Walsingham.

Is there any way to discover which building they lived in? Street numbers don't seem to have been much of a feature in many villages. My grandfather was a hairdresser, so they may have lived above the shop. I obviously need some documents that would list former inhabitants. I don't think my grandfather was in a position then to buy property, so he was probably renting his accomodation.
[/quote]
[font=arial][size=3]Hi, when I went to the Herts Record Office looking for a property in a village from a census return, they were able to take the number of the page (and the number the enumerator wrote), and from the front summary pages had worked out which way around the village he had walked, and where each property was on the map of the time. Maybe Norfolk Record Office has done something similar with electoral records of the time, or you maybe able to work it out from neighbours who are still there at the time of the census. The Record Office may even have photos if you're lucky. Good luck with your search.[/size][/font]
mrsaverage40s

Previous

Return to Local history