Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Visit to Clydeside in 1942

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Royal Visit to Clydeside in 1942

Postby allymac » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:53 pm

I have found a photograph of my great grandfather John Napier meeting King George VI and the Queen. I have no idea as to why he was meeting them. He is 2nd from the left of the photograph.

As far as I have been able to ascertain, the photo was taken during the Royal visit to Clydeside on June 4th 1942.

I do know that on my great grandfathers death certificate in 1945, his occupation was listed as Crane Supervisor at the Clyde Trust.

If anyone has any ideas as to who the other people in the photo are or why they were all in a receiving line to meet the Royals I would be grateful

Thank you

Allyson

[image]local://116/31362BC24D664F8C8A71750428C6B0A7.jpg[/image]
allymac

RE: Royal Visit to Clydeside in 1942

Postby Threeps » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Allymac,
I can't give you any specific info on this photo, but I can recommend posting it on http://scotlandsfamilytree.moonfruit.com/
The members on this isite are extremely knowledgeable and very willing to help with any query.
Good luck!
Threeps
Threeps

Postby Annie08 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:06 am

Not sure if it will help but what about contacting the local newspaper for the area. Down here in Kent Royal visits are covered by the local media and I've often looked exhibitions from our local paper which show visits from years gone past. Just an idea - good luck.

Annie08
Annie08

Postby allymac » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:36 pm

Thanks for your help Annie08. I have already tried the local Glasgow newspapers - which is how I have found out the date. No one can put any light on why or exactly whereabouts my G Grandfather met them
allymac

Postby Babs » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:06 pm

This visit is reported in the Scotsman on 5 June. Here is an extract from the report:

[font="verdana, sans-serif"][color=#000099][size=2]At a wharf where the official party boarded a vessel for the passage down the river, Their Majesties were received by Vice-Admiral Troup, Flag Officer-in-Charge, Glasgow, and Mr William Cuthbert, chairman of the Clyde Navigation Trust. Admiral Troup presented Commodore E. G. de S Jukes-Hughes, R.N., Principal Sea Transport Officer, West of Scotland; Commander J. Laurence, First Officer Hudson and Second Officer E. J. Meikle, W.R.N.S. A detachment of the W.R.N.S. was inspected before the embarkation; Other presentations included Mr Robert Letch, Regional Port Director; Mr S. H. Mackintosh, Regional Controller of the Ministry of Labour and National Service, Mr J. Leggat, deputy chairman of the Clyde Trust; Mr John Wilson, general manager and secretary of the Trust; Capt. Eaglesome, Harbour Master; Sir Thomas Dunlop, Deputy Regional Shipping Representative, Ministry of War Transport; and Colonel Hugh Campbell, chairman of the Clyde District, Merchant Navy Reserve Pool, Their Majesties spoke to dockers and men of the Merchant Navy.[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#000099]
[/color]
[font="verdana, sans-serif"][color=#000099][size=2]DEPARTURE DOWN-RIVER [/size][/color][/font]
[font="verdana, sans-serif"][color=#000099][size=2]"I am looking forward to my trip down the river," the Queen said to Mr John Wilson. "It is a hive of industry, I know." [/size][/color][/font]
[font="verdana, sans-serif"][color=#000099][size=2]The departure of the vessel provided one of the most impressive scenes of the day. As the vessel drew into the river, cheers were raised by the" W.R.N.S. and other people on the wharf. A band played the National Anthem while the vessel, the Royal Standard flying from her masthead, slowly gathered speed. [/size][/color][/font]
[font="verdana, sans-serif"][color=#000099][size=2]Ships in every stage of construction, from the keel plates to the finished article, complete with commissioned crew, were seen, and both the King and queen were intensely interested in the variety of work in progress, asking innumerable questions from the accompanying officials. [/size][/color][/font]
[font="verdana, sans-serif"][color=#000099][size=2]The queen spent a few minutes talking to Mr David Robertson, a river dyke builder with the Trust, who said that he belonged to Forfar. Her Majesty said that she was pleased to meet someone from the same part of Scotland as herself, and said that she knew well Mr Robertson's cousin, who is an employee at Glamis Castle. [/size][/color][/font]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]As you can see they met a number of dignataries from the Clyde Navigation Trust but there is also mention of unspecified dockers. I would imagine your G grandfather was in the line-up with these men and David Robertson, the river dyke builder, but as an ordinary worker (without a noteworthy Glamis connection) his name wouldn't be listed.[/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]Hope this helps[/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]Barbara[/size]
Babs

Return to Photo identification