Moderator Control Panel ]

Kevin Whately

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Kevin Whately

Postby pre1837 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:13 pm

Best show to date in my opinion. Over the years, I wonder what happened to all the money? I think the talk of money and slaves made Kevin uneasy. Wonderful prog. May another Series soon return to our screens.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

RE: Kevin Whately

Postby pre1837 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:10 am

Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

pre1837

Postby pentre » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:00 pm

And while we're waiting for the next series, would it be possible to see maybe the Welsh or Irish versions of the programme? It would be very useful to see research in those countries (well, I do have a vested interest in them ,but I'm sure other family history addicts would be equally keen to see them).
pentre
pentre

Postby pre1837 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Could we have an 'in dept' programme showing just what is invoved in getting all the info and showing that one cannot just turn up unanounced and expect all the data to be waiting. Show what is really invoved. Show just how little is on the web compared to actual records that have to be searched.

pre1837

Postby colliehouse » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:06 am

Brilliant idea, that would be really interesting.
colliehouse

Postby Patron » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:46 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: pre1837

Could we have an 'in dept' programme showing just what is invoved in getting all the info and showing that one cannot just turn up unanounced and expect all the data to be waiting. Show what is really invoved. Show just how little is on the web compared to actual records that have to be searched.
[/quote]

This is something I have been asking since the programme began, it makes it look so easy, just turn up and there is the head archivist waiting for you with the relevant orginal records just waiting for you to look at.
I had a few friends start their family history on the strength of this programme, only a couple are still doing it, the others dropped out when they realisesd it wasn't as easy as the programme makes out! Thankfully we were doing ours long before the series' began, even though we have less time to devote to it now than we did then.
I would also like to see the programme tackle the history of ordinary people, not just celebs.
Patron

Postby pentre » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:46 pm

To be fair to the BBC, they do have to reach a wider audience than genealogists, and the celebrity names are what boost the ratings. It is interesting to see how many celebrities do come from ordinary backgrounds like ourselves - and how many who pride on being 'ordinary' actually came from quite privileged families.

Sky has been showing repeats of Do You Think You're Royal (I may have got the title wrong!) which does show ordinary people trying to connect with royalty. It's been fascinating, and I wish I'd seen all the series.

And, to be honest, there are so many of these celebs that I've never heard of they are just ordinary people to me!
pentre
pentre

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat