Moderator Control Panel ]

Best Yet

Talk about Kevin Whately's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?

Best Yet

Postby gb4yzj » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:10 am

That was the best of this series, it combined the history side with the family history. It was very interesting.

Christine
gb4yzj

RE: Best Yet

Postby JohnS » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:26 am

Yes - the best programme was left until the end of the series.

A good mixture of facts, ideas for research and reactions to interesting discoveries made. This is what family history is about. A very good programme!

I liked the pair of portraits being seen together and the meaning of turkey merchant!
JohnS

Postby linnet27 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:00 am

They certainly saved the best till last this series. That was really interesting.
linnet27

Postby ksouthall » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:33 am

I agree with everyone else's comments. This was the best of he series. I liked the fact that Kevin was surprised by most of the information and the fact that he has roots in Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire, like me. Seeing the portraits was one of the highlights, along with the old documents.
ksouthall

Postby RichardCrane » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:20 pm

"In the Right Time in the Right Place" was certainly the theme within Kevin Whately's ancestry. On his mother's family, there was a very sucessful fish merchant, whilst on his father's family, there was a merchant, who was responsible for the trade coming from Turkey as well as in the time of Shakespeare, merchants in the sugar trade in Amercia.
RichardCrane

Postby colliehouse » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:06 am

It really was a good programme. What is interesting to me is how many people seem to find they have unexpected connections to the slave trade. It seems none of us should be too quick to say "nothing to do with me", it might be a horrible shock to find one's ancestors did indeed have something to do with it.
colliehouse

Postby Patron » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:33 pm

It was certainly a 'breath of fresh air' when you compare it to the others in the series, it was interesting to go so much farther back, the others seemed to stop mid 1800's.

Our only complaint was yet again so much research had been done, by Kevins father this time, prior to WDYTYA? getting involved. This has happened time and time again with the celebs involved, you get the narator say "and suddenly XXX gets a letter in the post from XXX and inside is the family tree that thier ancestor XXX did"
And why do you see them so often handling historic documents without gloves?

Personally I would like to see a series that took ordinary people and treated them to the same research, flying them about the world and first class travel on the trains here. More on how the research is actually done would be nice as well, the programme makes it look so easy, but of course we know it's not.
Sorry for the rant but it does annoy me!
Patron

Postby ksouthall » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:23 am

There was something on one of the forums recently about whether or not to wear gloves when handling original documents. Some people say that wearing gloves means that people may handle the documents less carefully than if they have bare hands, as the gloves reduce the sensitivity of the finger tips. Other people also say that natural oils on the finger tips help to keep the documents flexible, like a moisturiser. I can't remember the exact phrasing, but it was something along those lines.
ksouthall

Postby pre1837 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:10 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: gb4yzj

That was the best of this series, it combined the history side with the family history. It was very interesting.

Christine
[/quote]

What was?
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby ksouthall » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:16 am

The Kevin Whately programme, under which forum these posts appear.
ksouthall

Next

Return to Kevin Whately