Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Magdalene Wilson

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mary Magdalene Wilson

Postby rosss009 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:36 pm

My Great Grandfather was George Wilson born in Edinburgh Scotland in 1854; he came to England after 1871 and when he married my Great Grandmother Susan Brooks in 1881 in London he was shown as a Widower on the marriage certificate. They are shown on 1891 census as having a child Mary Magdalene aged 13 and obviously too old to be Susan's child so must have been from his first marriage; Mary Magdalene is shown as being born in Sutton Surrey. I cannot find any birth certificate for her or for a possible older child George C who could also have been George senior's child. George C was with Mary M on the 1901 census as a visitor aged 25 and by this time Mary M was married to John Cummins. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can find George Seniors first marriage or the births of these 2 children?
rosss009

RE: Mary Magdalene Wilson

Postby ksouthall » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:03 pm

Hello,
I have found the birth of a Mary Magdalene W Whyte in Epsom District in Q4 of 1877. I did a quick check on Multimap and Epsom is about 5 miles from Sutton, so it is possible that Sutton births were registered in Epsom.
The third inital, W, could mean the full name was Mary Magdalene Wilson Whyte. If so, this could be your ancestor and would suggest her parents were unmarried when she was born, but could have married later. It could also be that they never married but he classed himself a widower on his second marriage certificate anyway. I don't know if he would have needed to produce marriage and death certificates at a second marriage in 1881 or not.
This may not relate to your ancestor at all but it was the closest I could get. I hope it helps.
Katherine
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:36 pm

I found a birth registration for John Brooks Wilson in Holborn in 1884. I am guessing this is the first child of George Wilson and Susan Brooks.
I found a marriage reference for George and Susan in Bethnal Green (?) in the Q2 of 1881, and have also found them in the 1881 Census, working in the household of John McMurtrie, a Scottish baker. They were residing at 19 High Street, Liberty of Norton Folgate, Newington, London. Susan was an unmarried general serverant whilst George was listed as a widower.
As yet, I have not been able to find Mary Magdalene Wilson in the 1881 Census. Have you been able to find her or George C Wilson in the 1881 Census?
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:26 pm

In the 1901 Census, George C Wilson (spelt Willson) was aged 25 and born in the City of London. I have found 4 possible baptisms for a George C Wilson at that time:-

William George C Wilson Q4 1876 St Saviour Southwark
George Edward C Wilson Q4 1875 Islington
George Charles Wilson Q3 1875 Wandsworth
George Crate Wilson Q4 1875 Wandsworth

It may be that none of the above are your George C Wilson. Of the four, I think George Crate Wilson is the more likely as Crate could have been a surname passed on as a middle name. This is based on the assumption that the John Brooks Wilson I found earlier is also one of your ancestors, and was given his mother's maiden name as a middle name. This is speculation, however, so you could also check the 1911 Census to see if you can find out any more information. Alternatively, your could find out if "George Crate Wilson", or any of the others suggested above, served in the navy, as your George C Wilson is listed as a "Stoker R.N. Navy man".

I hope you find these suggestions helpful.

I still haven't found either George C Wilson or Mary M Wilson in the 1881 England or Scotland Censuses, using the search criteria "Wil*son" to check for variant spellings.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:13 am

Was your great grandfather, George Wilson, the son of George and Elizabeth Wilson, residing at 28 Thistle Street, Edinburgh, St George, in the 1871 Census? This George was an Apprentice Baker with four younger siblings, including a younger brother, Archibald.
I am still trying to find Mary Magdalene Wilson and her brother, George C Wilson, so any information about their grandparents would be really helpful.
ksouthall

Postby rosss009 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:30 am

Yes so far you have everything absolutely correct - well done and thank you for the info on the birth of Mary Magdalene Whyte - I will send for the BC and see if this is the one!!! I hope so. Yes the info you have on the Scottish ancestors is correct except that Elizabeth Wilson was not George Wilson's Mother; his Father George was married to Jessie Wales before Elizabeth Sommerville and then after Elizabeth Sommerville died he married another Elizabeth whose name was McKenzie. George Wilson who came to England (my Gt Grandfather) had 2 Brothers James Wales c1850 and John c1849; Margaret, Magdalene, Elizabeth, Archibald and David were his half Brothers and Sisters and were the children of Elizabeth Wilson nee Sommerville; he didn't have any children with the last Elizabeth but he was 61 when he married her so not surprising!!! I can't find any birth for George my Gt Grandfather nor for his Mother Jessie Wales in the Scottish records so far.
rosss009

Postby rosss009 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:30 am

I have found a George Wilson aged 5 and a Mary Wilson aged 3 in the 1881 Census living with Thomas Arnold at 10 Hare Court St Botolph Aldersgate. Possibly they were looked after while George was working?
rosss009

Postby ksouthall » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:46 am

Glad the info was of help. I have just thought that perhaps the birth entry could have been entered into the register incorrectly; i.e. Mary Magdalene Whyte Wilson could have been entered as Mary Magdalene Wilson Whyte, by mistake. With such a long name, mistakes could easily be made and if the informant was not particularly good at reading, they would not necessarily notice any mistakes on the certificate. So maybe her parents were married at the time of her birth after all.
Have just read the bit about your great-great-uncle being called James Wales Wilson so it looks like using maiden names as middle names was a family tradition. Some branches of my family did that which makes it so much easier to trace records. I wish they had all done that.
ksouthall

Postby rosss009 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:00 am

Yes and you said you found John Brooks Wilson and you will see that my Gt Grandmother was named Susan Brooks and their were many others in the Scottish side that did the same. I will have to be patient and hope that you have found my Mary Magdalene for me. Thanks again.
rosss009

Postby rosss009 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:50 am

A massive thank you to Ksouthall for the help you gave me with the Mary Magdalene birth certificate. The certificate has arrived and yes, it is the one. I am so thrilled. It appears that Mary Whyte is the Mother but no Father has been entered on to the Birth Cert. The child is named Mary Magdalene Wilson Whyte so it must be the same person. I guess the child was born before they married - if indeed they did marry; George may have lied about being a Widower to save face after Mary's death. I am not sure why she didn't name George on Mary Magdalene's birth certificate but I guess I never will know. Thanks again so much.
rosss009

Next

Return to General research queries