Moderator Control Panel ]

Brilliant!

Talk about Zoë Wanamaker's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?

Brilliant!

Postby pentre » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:13 am

Loved this episode! It had just the right mix of social history, personal history and (unlike earlier episodes) the research process. Made me wish there could be a follow-up, looking at the ancestors there was no time to focus on.
pentre
pentre

RE: Brilliant!

Postby Editor » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:56 pm

We are looking into the idea of running follow-ups in the magazine. Our April issue is going to focus on Kevin Whately and then in our May issue we are going to focus on Kevin's ancestors that the team researched but couldn't feature.

Also, have a look at the unseen footage clip taken from the Zoë Wanamaker episode. This is the link: http://www.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare.com/stories.php?m=video&v=1&cid=50282

She visits her grandparents house and they come across a possible remnant of her family's life there in the basement - a sewing maching. Zoë is very cautious about it having once belonged to her family but I think it is highly likely. Maybe I'm just an optimist who always likes to go for the best story (hmm, perhaps that's why I became a journalist!). What do other people think? I guess it's a frequent problem with family historians - it's always nice to go with the best story but we have to stick to the facts and make a clear distinction between that and speculation. Still, it is nice to think that it was her sewing machine.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Lou79 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:30 pm

I really enjoyed this episode, as Pentre says, it had the right mixture of everything, unlike most of the other shows in this series. Probably the best one so far (although i did enjoy Rory but mainly because of his brother and his endless box of family goodies!)
Lou79

Postby colliehouse » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:06 am

I also agree with pentre, it was a much better programme with a really good balance of information and content.
The idea about follow ups in the magazine is brilliant, that would be really interesting especially as I have trouble viewing the unseen footage the broadband speeds in this area are so bad.
colliehouse

Postby pentre » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:40 am

Glad you said that colliehouse - I was beginning to think I was the only person who doesn't have broadband, so I can't see the extra footage either.
pentre
pentre

Postby Editor » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:56 pm

Would you like me to put the unseen footage on the cover CD?

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby cms » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:30 pm

I would say the sewing machine episode was one of the best bits of the programme. Zoe sensibly didn't say "OMG! It's Grandpa's sewing machine", but he would have had one just the same or very similar, and to find it at his address was spine-tingling.
Did some researchers find it first?
Very good episode but I prefer the ones that go back further.
Main family names:
BATE Cheshire;Lancs
DRURY Shropshire
McCOLL Argyll;Rothesay;Greenock
CHILWELL Warks;Staffs
Also
BATHO, DICKEN Shropshire
REED Yorks
SMITH, ROULSTON Nuneaton
SMEDLEY Nottingham
cms

Postby pre1837 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:20 pm

Yes, but only if there is room and wont result in leaving off other data.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby colliehouse » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:13 pm

That would be brilliant for those of us who either don't have broadband or live in the parts of the country where it runs slower than most people's dial up!
colliehouse

Postby Annie08 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:23 am

That's a great idea. I too would like to see the unseen footage on the CD. Although I have broadband it can run slow at times and I do get fed up of the circular icon in the centre of the image interrupting my viewing!

Annie08
Annie08

Next

Return to Zoë Wanamaker