Moderator Control Panel ]

Fiona Bruce

Have your say about Fiona Bruce's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?

Fiona Bruce

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 pm

What did think of the Fiona Bruce episode?

Did it shed light on anything of interest to you?

Perhaps you suspect that you have a link to Fiona's family tree?

Or maybe you just enjoyed watching Fiona's reactions as she discovered her ancestors?

Whatever your comment, have your say here.

If you have any technical difficulties, email EdwardHerbert@magazine-services.co.uk
Admin

RE: Fiona Bruce

Postby Editor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:56 pm

I was so moved about the World War One bit. I know we've had a lot of programmes about the First World War recently but it never fails to get to me. Especially when you think about him wanting to go back to the Front as soon as possible.

Have a look at the unseen footage for Fiona Bruce on our website. It's quite sad about why her mother was put up for adoption. Fiona's great grandmother seems to have been quite a dragon - in fact I think Fiona is rather soft on her - but then I guess it is different standards for different times and perhaps we shouldn't judge her by our standards (still wouldn't want her as my great grandmother).

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby worrals » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:20 pm

I really enjoyed Fiona's episode. Interesting stories and records used.
I found the story about shell shock very moving.
I liked the language used in the Poor Law records, I 've come across that in my own research and they certainly didn't mince their words in those days!
Fiona, when using the census said it felt like spying amused me.
Did she get the original letter back kept in the school archives?
worrals

Postby pentre » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:20 pm

I thought this was a much better episode than last week's. It showed the processes most of us have to go through while searching for our ancestors - not many people have it handed on a plate like Rory Bremner. It was interesting to see a bit of Scottish history too - and how ordinary people's lives were manipulated by the rich landowners. Fiona also came over as a very warm and likeable person, which always helps.

The episode left me wishing there was more. In particular I'd love to know a bit about her adopted mother - I know there's something on the 'unseen footage' but I don't have broadband and it doesn't work on my old PC.

Look forward to episode three!
pentre
pentre

Postby pre1837 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Will you please publish a link for the 'unseen footage'? Can't seem to find it on BBC sites. Thanks.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:56 pm

Here you go pre-1837.

[link=http://www.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare.com/stories.php?cid=50280]http://www.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare.com/stories.php?cid=50280[/link]

There is a link to unseen footage on this page.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby Annie08 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:40 am

Hi

I really enjoyed the section on the 1st World War especially as I could relate what was being said to my Great Grand Uncle who joined up and within 4 months had worked up the ranks from Private through to Sergeant. He had also seen service before the War. He was wounded and discharged 'no longer fit for war service' in March 1918 from the Queen Alexandra Military Hospital, Millbank. As an officer, like Fiona's ancestor I assume mine would have also had better care. So I found this episode interesting.

I liked the bit where it was explained that it would be easy to get all those children in the cottage as they were used to packing fish!

Annie08
Annie08

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:13 am

I enjoyed Fiona's story. It had a good mix. I was interested in the shellshock information; particularly the comments that shellshocked soldier's often took on a fatalistic viewpoint.

It was good to see Fiona taking an interest in her ancestral village/town. It was also interesting to see the Christ's Hospital School information and the workhouse records. Those parish worthies didn't hold back did they? Fancy calling Fiona's relative a drunken creature! I had a relative who got his poor relief docked because the parish worthies thought he spent too much of it on alcohol! [:D]

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby cms » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:10 am

Was anything found out about the artistic output of William Crouch? (I mean paintings)
Main family names:
BATE Cheshire;Lancs
DRURY Shropshire
McCOLL Argyll;Rothesay;Greenock
CHILWELL Warks;Staffs
Also
BATHO, DICKEN Shropshire
REED Yorks
SMITH, ROULSTON Nuneaton
SMEDLEY Nottingham
cms

Postby RichardCrane » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Fiona Bruce was keen on searching her family history because, as a child, she and her family moved from place to place around the world. Also, whenever she was asked about the origins of her family, Fiona would explain that she simply doesn't know, considering her father's work involved moving his family as well. My mum's childhood was similar to Fiona's childhood as my grandfather's work involved moving his family too. However, in my grandfather's case, he was moving from the north to the south of England, and then back up north, and then back down south again!
RichardCrane

Next

Return to Fiona Bruce