Moderator Control Panel ]

WDYTYA Live 2008

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

WDYTYA Live 2008

Postby shezzy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:10 am

Just read in Issue 2 of the magazine that WDYTYA Live will again be held in London in May.

Are there any plans to hold this a bit further North - Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow??

By the time we have bought train tickets and had to pay for overnight stays it makes the event very expensive for us Northerners.

How about a second show in a more Northerly place in Sept or Oct, if the May show has to be in London each year?

Don't forget us up here please.

Shezzy

shezzy

RE: WDYTYA Live 2008

Postby Simon in Bucks » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:36 pm

If, and that's an IF it were to be moved in the future, then I'd guess that the NEC at Birmingham would be the place. That's fairly central.

London was fine for me in 2007, and it'll be fine for me in 2008. However, it should be pointed out that the Hall used in 2007 was just about the right size. There was some space up on the higher level for more stands/stalls - but they got it about right. The talks and chats were also well done and some of those were in separate rooms off the main Hall.

If the Show got really big in the coming years, then it would make sense to use the NEC, based on the 2007 size, it's probably a bit small to use any of the NEC.

Just my thoughts.
Simon in Bucks

Postby EmmaR » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:56 pm

I'm thinking of going this year. Has anyone been before and what was it like? thanks
EmmaR

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:03 pm

I went to this year's show and thoroughly enjoyed it! I only went on one day but wished I had gone on two days. There was so much to see and do!

I was interested in many of the lectures but didn't get to see as many as I would have liked because the shops and stalls were pulling me towards them!

We drove up and there was plenty of parking.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby fizzyrock » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:26 pm

Hi Shezzy, totally agree with you. I live in Leicester and its still very expensive to get to London.

Hold it centrally, then a Northern one. London gets everything!!

fizzyrock
fizzyrock

Postby Simon in Bucks » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:53 pm

Emma - the 2007 Show was enjoyable. I think if you mix your day up a bit it helps.

I went with my father (who is only interested in WHAT I find, rather than HOW I find it) - so I had to tailor it to keep his interest.........and that fact that I wanted to stay the whole day - 10am - 6pm !

The trick was to get their early - before the crowds - we were one of the first in - then collected free tickets to the WDYTYA talk - that was with Ian Hislop (which was very funny and enjoyable). After that, a bit of a walk round some of the stands. Then we went off to listen to David Starkey - excellent speaker - most interesting.

Had some lunch up on the higher level. Then went through the guide book to tick off all the stands I wanted to see.

Then had a surprise for my father - I had arranged to meet up with a 4th cousin (on my father's side) - so that was PRESENT day Family History.

My father then recognised a couple of young ladies from where he used to work...........so he got kisses from them !

The last couple of hours was spent walking around the stalls - by 4pm, the crowds were leaving the hall, so it was real easy.

We had also taken along some Postcards of post-WW1 Berlin - that my Grandfather had got back in the early 1920's. These featured the right-wing militia's : so we went to a number of stands in the hall to get them looked at................one chap was prepared to offer me £15 for each one - we have about 30 of them !

So, all in all it was really good. Lots to see and do. As stated at the start - I had to mix the day up...............otherwise we would have been leaving at 1pm !!!!!! Even so, I prefered it that was, as you cannot do proper research in a hall full of people.

My father really enjoyed the show - it was an eye-opener for him - but he's still into the WHAT I've found, rather than HOW I find it. We both like the military and books etc etc.

We're going in 2008, so that's got to be a good thing. Like this year - we'll mix the day up to cover all sorts of things.
Simon in Bucks

Postby quests » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi Simon
Next years WDYTYA is planned to be even bigger and better than this years with loads more to see and do so yes getting there as early as you can is recomended. I of course will be there as I was this year on a stand and hoping you'll pop by again and say hi!
Quests
quests

Postby Guy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:46 pm

Anguline Research Archives was considering taking a stand but it would mean being away for five days (three days on the stand two days travelling) which is out of the question.
If it was held at a more covienent location such as the NEC then travelling would not be a problem.
Eventually organisers will realise that there is life outside London.
Cheers
Guy
Guy

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:00 am

Guy,

Yes, five days is a long while to be away from home but you may do good business [;)] and it's only once a year. It would be nice to say Hello! [:)]

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby EmmaR » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:00 am

it sounds really interesting. what kinds of stalls are there? i would love to listen to ian hislop- he's so funny on have i got news for you!
EmmaR

Next

Return to Genealogy chat