Moderator Control Panel ]

HELP please, Wifes christian name change.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

HELP please, Wifes christian name change.

Postby saffieblue1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:00 pm

My friend has just started his family tree. He has the birth certificate for his wifes father, His parents are noted as Frederick Joseph Searle, Fruiter, mother as Violet Maud Searle formerly BURGESS, living in Overtons Yard, Croydon, this is dated 1908. He has a copy of their Marraige cert, again the names are Frederick Joseph Searle, a fruit hawker, Violet Maud Burgess, both living in Overtons Yard, Croydon. this is in 1907. all ok so far Also he is lead to beleive that Frederick had a sister who was younger so he looked up the certs and found Alice Elizabeth Nellie Searle 1912, Croydon. her father being Frederick Searle Greengrocer, mother Alice Searle Formely BURGESS, living at 9 Cairo Rd Croydon, just around the block from Overtons Yard. Now we come to the 1911 cencus which has caused us a little problem We Have Frederick Searle (age is correct) as Fruiter, head of family. Alice Searle wife, (age is the same as Violet) married 3 yrs which ties in with the marriage cert he has, Frederick son, age is correct, living at 11 Cairo Rd Croydon. We have checked to see if Violet died and he remarried but cannot find any records of this. Any help would be appriciated.
saffieblue1

RE: HELP please, Wifes christian name change.

Postby ksouthall » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:43 am

This sounds intriguing. Could you let us know the names of Violet Maud Burgess's parents, please, so I can look them up in earlier censuses to see whether I can find out any more for you?
ksouthall

Postby paulberyl » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:40 am

It could be simply that for some reason or another she just preferred to call herself Alice.

My wife's grandfather called himself Fred, named his son Fred, but his registered forename was actually Joseph.

Not such a difference but one of my aunts was called Claire and I only knew her as Claire. It was only when I came to register her death that I dug out her birth certificate to find her registered name was Clara.

As an aside I have traced a birth for a Violet Maud Burgess (Q2 1881, Hackney, Vol 1b Pg 571). I do not know whether this is your Violet but she appears to have been a twin, her sister being Lily Florence Burgess.

Paul
paulberyl

Postby Dru » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:26 am

Or it could be that when they completed the census form they got confused with what they were supposed to enter? Have you looked at the original page on the 1911 census? I have found quite a lot of errors between the transcript and the original image!
Lisa
Researching: Johnson, Shaw, Burditt, Bodell, Thompson (Warwickshire), Hyett (Gloucestershire), Mottram, Lunt (Chesire), Dawson, James (unknown area)
Dru

Postby saffieblue1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply, We cannot find the parents names until we can trace the birth cert. Thanks again for your help

saffieblue1

I thought the same as you, we are applying for the birth cert you suggested, thanks, for taking the time to help us
saffieblue1

Have checked the original 1911 census, but thanks for your help.
saffieblue1

Postby ksouthall » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:20 am

It looks like there are three possibilities:-

Firstly, Frederick Searle was only married to Violet Burgess but in the 1911 Census she chose to be known as Alice.

Secondly, Frederick Searle was married to Violet Burgess first but either she died or they split up and he then set up home with her sister, probably Lily Florence Burgess, who chose to be known as Alice.

Thirdly, Frederick Searle ran two households simultaneously, very close to each other, one with Violet and another with Alice. If they were just around the corner from each other, this would have been quite risky but not unheard of around the turn of the 20th Century.
ksouthall

Return to General research queries