Moderator Control Panel ]

Wentworth Taylor

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Wentworth Taylor

Postby patsavdd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:23 pm

I have a Ggrandfather Herbert Wentworth Taylor,b1852 in London. I wonder why Wentworth? Nowhere in the two previous generations does this name appear, though his grandfather has "gent" as an occupation on the marriage certificate! I understand from a fellow researcher that the Wentworth Taylors were, (? are ),prominent in Yorkshire,(? Rotherham area). Can anybody, please, shed any light on my "Wentworth" problem?
patsavdd

RE: Wentworth Taylor

Postby mrsaverage40s » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:26 am

Have you traced his family further back? I have found that often middle names are female maiden names further back in time.
mrsaverage40s

Postby ksouthall » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Like mrsaverage, I have also found maiden names used as middle names. I also have a couple of cases where the parents were not married, so the children took the mother's maiden name as a middle name whilst also taking the father's surname. I also found an illegitimate ancestor who took his father's surname as a middle name and his mother's maiden name as his surname. Just as well he did as he was a Smith and would be impossible to find in censuses otherwise.
ksouthall

Postby patsavdd » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:30 am

Many thanks to both who have replied. I have discovered several in Yorkshire,but no connection so far - and none seem to be related to a "gent"! I cannot get beyond Thomas Taylor,"gent",probably born 1790-1800 approx,possibly in Staffs. I take the point about use of maiden name - indeed,I am already much concerned about Frances Smith Savage,and have already posted something in this connection but so far without any response.Still,positive thinking,one never knows what may turn up!
patsavdd

Postby mrsaverage40s » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:30 am

Any details that you already have, such as census records or birth, death or marriage records on the family members you are looking for helps others to locate the 'missing pieces' or the missing person(s) for you if you can tell us all that you have, and what you require.
What do you have on Herbert Wentworth Taylor, and what are you looking for?
mrsaverage40s

Postby patsavdd » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks for your interest and apologies for the delay in replying. Please see my latest post on his father from the1871 & 1881 Censuses.I can add that he married Mary Ann Choppin in Essex abt.1873. I have yet to determine his death,not being able to find him yet on subsequent Censuses. However,of interest is that a son born after 1881 was unable to find work in London during the
Depression of the 1920's etc.and apparently made his way northwards,(rumour says on foot!),until eventually successful in Market
Harborough, where he settled. As a boy,I stayed there with my mother and brother during Aug.1944 to get a rest from the Doodle
Bugs!
patsavdd

Return to General research queries