Moderator Control Panel ]

Warning about February issue

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

RE: Warning about February issue

Postby Jtyner » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:53 am

i havent got my copy yet, but i live in ireland so i think i naturally get mine later than everyone else. found out few days ago its on at 10:35pm by which time i will be back home so that suits me fine!
Jtyner

Postby margaretabram » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:36 pm

I emailed about the fact I hadn't had my February issue on Thursday and got no reply. I have just phoned the helpline to be told that they don't have any copies left and I will have to try to get one from the shops! They have extended my subscription by one month. Big deal. I want THIS issue! They claim it was sent out on the 20th January, but certainly didn't arrive in my postbox. I am really furious. I now have to go out in deep snow to try to find a copy. Grrr!!!!
Mags
margaretabram

Postby margaretabram » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:00 pm

Update: I have just spent an hour walking through the snow (it is snowing hard) into town to find a copy of the February issue. Two shops were sold out, but the third had two copies left on the shelves, placed in the wrong place, apart from the other family history magazines. So I was rewarded for my efforts. I have just opened it and found that I have one of my forum posts published on page 8 - so doubly rewarded. Now I know why subscribing is such a good idea (if it arrives).
Mags
margaretabram

Postby pre1837 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:03 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: margaretabram

I emailed about the fact I hadn't had my February issue on Thursday and got no reply. I have just phoned the helpline to be told that they don't have any copies left and I will have to try to get one from the shops! They have extended my subscription by one month. Big deal. I want THIS issue! They claim it was sent out on the 20th January, but certainly didn't arrive in my postbox. I am really furious. I now have to go out in deep snow to try to find a copy. Grrr!!!!
[/quote]

This same thing happened to me a few months ago. They said the same, but they then sent me their 'Office Copy. About two weeks later I got another one. The Issue was then shown as 'Sold Out' in the back copies section, then, they suddenly found another un-opened box full. It's all on here somewhere under the First Thread.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby Simon in Bucks » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:20 pm

I have been reading the article on Street Names this morning on pages 76 and 77, I found the article excellent............but, I don't think there was any requirement to include one of the street names from Shrewsbury.

The article was very informative indeed and made you think about how some street names are so called.

Maybe someone from the magazine can give reasoning to how this particular street name explaination got through into the magazine ? It didn't offend me, but maybe others were somewhat surprised.
Simon in Bucks

Postby paulberyl » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:56 pm

A bit of a Jonathan Ross moment!

In fact the name was quite common in Middle Age England with the name being found in London, Oxford, Bristol, York, Newcastle, Glastonbury as well as Shrewsbury. The abbreviated form of Grope Lane appearing in Southampton, Hereford, Reading and Worcester. It appears that the name was used where prostitutes conducted their business (although this conclusion has been disputed). Other similar names included Love Lane, Fondle Street and Puppekirty Lane (meaning "Poke Skirt Lane").

I have always been interested in how roads, streets and lanes got their names and Carl Chinn's books [i]The Streets of Brum[/i] (four volumes) provide a fascinating insight to how Birmingham's streets were named.

Paul
paulberyl

Postby Jtyner » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:16 pm

update: i still havent received my febuary issue. i will wait till friday and then if i havent received it i will go to dublin and buy it if it is still in the shops!
Jtyner

Postby Editor » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:33 pm

Did you get your Feb issue? Chase up our subscriptions department if not, or send me an email and I'll try to sort it out. My email address is sarahwilliams@bbcmagazinesbristol.com

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby margaretabram » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:40 pm

My copy never did arrive. Luckily (having gone to a lot of trouble - see my previous post) I did manage to buy one. Not all of us live near large nationwide shops and have to rely on small local businesses, who do not carry the stock that large chains do. I am still feeling annoyed at the attitude of the person I spoke to at the subscriptions department. Perhaps it would be a good idea to hold back a few copies so that ones that get lost in the postal system can be replaced. I know the failure of the postal system is not the fault of the subscription department, but neither was it mine. I am sure there must be a percentage every month that go astray and they should plan for this. There was a distinct lack of customer care from the person I spoke to.
Mags
margaretabram

Postby gb4yzj » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:13 am

I bought Jan and Feb 2009 editions in a shop and decided I would subscribe but decided I would wait to make sure that I did not get Feb edition in my subscription. I then got an email from the magazine offering me 3 free issues if I subscribed and paid by direct debit and it looked by the email and when going to subscribe that it would start at Mar edition.

When I went through the subscription process it says on my reciept that it starts with Apr issue and ends at Jun issue at £9.50 but all it says about the free issues is in the bit where it says about subscribing

'Subscribe to Who do you think you are? for £9.50 every 3 issues by direct debit - 3 free issues'

It does not say when or which free issues I will get.

I sent an email but did not get a reply. I did say in my email that I expected my subscription to start at Mar issue and that my 3 free issues I hoped did not include Jan and Feb issues as I already have them.

I need to know if I am going to get Mar issue because if I am not then I need to get it from the shop.

It seems by what I have read that emails are not answered. This is not good customer service.

Hope someone can let me know when I will get my 3 free issues and what issues they will be.

Christine
gb4yzj

PreviousNext

Return to Magazine chat