Moderator Control Panel ]

What was the Metro Howards Building?

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

What was the Metro Howards Building?

Postby veelo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:33 am

In the 1881 Census, I have found my Gt Grandad (widowed) living with his daughter in "Metro Howards Bldg King Edwds Refuge 19 Albert St" (sic) more recently I discovered (in the same census) another of his daughters (married with several children) living in the same place, the entries are listed as they would be for an institution, that is no separate numbers or indications of rooms occupied. From looking on the internet, it would appear to be housing that replaced the slums? I would be really interested if anyone knows exactly what this building would have been and what kind of person would live there, they had moved by the 1891 census.
veelo

RE: What was the Metro Howards Building?

Postby paulberyl » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:03 pm

The Metro Howard Building (officially the Metropolitan and Howard Buildings, Kings Edward Refuge) was a model housing estate of the Metropolitan Association for Improving the Dwellings of the Industrious Classes. The completed block consisted of a block of family flats; a lodging house for single men and four terraces of cottages. It was an early forerunner of many modern blocks of municipal and council flats. For [1881] census purposes it was dealt with as if it were an institution.

The attached photograph shows the Albert Family Dwellings (left) and Howard Buildings (right).

Paul

[image]local://259/B7AD69B853124A1E82CF19B590DF4F0C.gif[/image]
paulberyl

RE: What was the Metro Howards Building?

Postby veelo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:06 am

Thank you paulberyl for your reply and a picture! I am very grateful for the information and it certainly helps me to understand how my family were living in those days!
veelo

Return to Local history