Moderator Control Panel ]

Irish Uprising 1916

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Irish Uprising 1916

Postby Sandra » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:43 am

My husband's grandfather was involved in the 1916 Uprising and was subsequently a prisoner in Wakefield Prison (1916) and later at Wormwood Scrubs and Northampton Prison (1920). Does anyone know where I could possibly start to find out more about his imprisonment and perhaps his records?
Sandra
Sandra

RE: Irish Uprising 1916

Postby paulberyl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:13 am

Sandra,

You may find that you will have problems accessing records with the 100 year closure rule. (A problem I have experienced in trying to access records for Winson Green Prison for the 1930s).

However I would try local records offices with as much information you have and if they have records you may find that they are prepared to do a look up for you.

The other source is local newspapers, particularly around the time of the uprising.

Paul
paulberyl

RE: Irish Uprising 1916

Postby Sandra » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:13 pm

Thanks for the point about local newspapers Paul I hadn't thought of those as a source.
Sandra
Sandra

Re: Irish Uprising 1916

Postby matholwch » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:29 pm

The prison registers for Wormwood Schrubs are held at London Metropolitan Archives and include large numbers of Irish prisioners held under Defence of the Realm Act (DORA) or later under the Restoration of Order Ireland Regulations (ROIR). Try other county record offices for the other prisons.

Those who served in the Easter Rising and subsequently in the War of Independence were entitled to a medal and pension issued by the Irish Free State and later Republic. The records are held at the Military Archives, Cathal Brugha Barracks, Rathmines, Dublin 6. All Irish Prison records have been microfilmed and are available at the National Archives of Ireland in Bishp Street Dublin, the site of Jacob's Biscuit Factory occupied by the Republicans in 1916.

Lots of records for the period have now been released and are held at the National Archives in Kew, try WO 35/133 and others. Also look for files on Frongoch and others of the same period. Interestingly the files are not complete and I cannot for the present explain all the gaps.

The previous reply was not well informed

Matholwch
matholwch

Re: Irish Uprising 1916

Postby Sassy192 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping for some help

How did you find your relative ended up in Northampton?

I have a relative who I believe was involved in the 1916 uprising I think I can find him sent to Wakefield on 2nd June but can't find anything more thereafter. I know he ended up in Northampton as he married and settled here I'd just like to make a link with how he got from Ireland to the U.K.

Thank you in anticipation

Sarah
Sassy192

Return to General research queries