Moderator Control Panel ]

Industrial school

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Industrial school

Postby jsandra » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:30 pm

I have found a relation Alfred Reddish was in 1891 age 14 in Stockport Boys Industrial School Certified and was an Inmate Under Detention his profession was school hatting. His family were all in Grantham Lincolnshire where he then went back to in the next census. What was an Industrial shool ? How can I find any info about how he got there and why![&:]
jsandra

RE: Industrial school

Postby ksouthall » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:33 am

In Series 4, Griff Rhys Jones found some ancestors in Industrial Schools. I have just looked at his story on the website and it says the following about Industrial Schools:-

"They were sent to industrial schools – harsh institutions designed to turn around disruptive kids."

It is possible that Stockport or Chesire Records Office(s) may have records for the Stockport Boys' Industrial School. If so, you may be able to find out when and why he ended up there. Alternatively, you could try the local family history society.
ksouthall

Postby jsandra » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:00 am

Thank you I will look up the Griff Rhys Jones episode and have a look at what it says and the records and history society. Thanks for your help and ideas.
jsandra

Postby mrsaverage40s » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:56 am

This website may help :
[link=http://www.missing-ancestors.com/industrial_school_for_boys%20stockport%20info.htm]http://www.missing-ancestors.com/industrial_school_for_boys%20stockport%20info.htm[/link]
mrsaverage40s

Postby jsandra » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:30 pm

Thanks I will try this site!
jsandra

Postby paulberyl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:56 am

[font="times new roman"][size=3]I hope you find the following useful about Industrial Schools[/size][/font]
[font="times new roman"][size=3] [/size][/font]
[size=3][font="times new roman"]Industrial schools had two main objects, to instil in the children the habit of working and to develop the latent potential of the destitute child. One of the earliest attempts to start an Industrial feeding School, as they were at first called, was in Aberdeen in 1846.[/font][/size]
[font="times new roman"][size=3]Industrial Schools were intended to help those children who were destitute but who had not as yet committed any serious crime. The idea was to remove the child from bad influences, give them an education and teach them a trade. The children needed to be removed from the environment in which they had been living. Depending on the circumstances of the child they either attended the school daily or they were able to live in.[/size][/font]
[size=3][font="times new roman"]The timetable was quite a strict one; the children rose at 6.00am and went to bed at 7.00pm. During the day there were set times for schooling, learning trades, housework, religion in the form of family worship, meal times and there was also a short time for play three times a day. The boys learned trades such as gardening, tailoring and shoemaking; the girls learned knitting, sewing, housework and washing.[/font][/size]
[size=3][font="times new roman"]At first the Industrial Schools were run on a voluntary basis. However in 1857 the Industrial Schools Act was passed. This gave magistrates the power to sentence children between the ages of 7 and 14 years old to a spell in one of these institutions. The act dealt with those children who were brought before the courts for vagrancy in other words for being homeless. In 1861 a further act was passed and different categories of children were included:[/font][/size]
[size=3]??[font="times new roman"] Any child apparently under the age of fourteen found begging or receiving alms [money or goods given as charity to the poor].[/font][/size]
[size=3]??[font="times new roman"] Any child apparently under the age of fourteen found wandering and not having any home or visible means of support, or in company of reputed thieves.[/font][/size]
[size=3]??[font="times new roman"] Any child apparently under the age of twelve who, having committed an offence punishable by imprisonment or less.[/font][/size]
[size=3]??[font="times new roman"] Any child under the age of fourteen whose parents declare him to be beyond their control.[/font][/size]
[size=3][font="times new roman"]The act stated the child had to be ‘apparently’ under the age of fourteen. This was because children often lied about their age if it was advantageous for them to do so. Some children genuinely did not know how old they were. [b][/b][/font][/size]
[font="times new roman"][size=3]Parents were supposed to contribute to the cost of keeping a child in an Industrial School. This often proved impossible to collect because most of the children were homeless. The money had to be found from government sources. As time went on there was quite a lot of unease about the funding mainly because of the rapid expansion of the system. Some people thought it was too big a drain on the public purse. More and more magistrates preferred to send young offenders to the schools instead of prison. From 1870 the schools became the responsibility of the Committee of Education.[/size][/font]
[font="times new roman"][size=3]My grandfather was committed to Birmingham Industrial School, Shustoke on the 14th November 1879 aged 12. Birmingham City Archives holds the register for the school which provided:[/size][/font]
[size=3]o[/size] [font="times new roman"][size=3]When, where, at what Court and before whom he was committed[/size][/font]
[size=3]o[/size] [font="times new roman"][size=3]Period of detention[/size][/font]
[size=3]o[/size] [font="times new roman"][size=3]Details of parents[/size][/font]
[size=3]o[/size] [font="times new roman"][size=3]Their occupation, character and circumstances[/size][/font]
[size=3]o[/size] [font="times new roman"][size=3]Whether or not the parents were able to contribute[/size][/font]
[size=3]o[/size] [font="times new roman"][size=3]Physical description (height, build, complexion, hair, eyes, nose marls on person, constitution and health).[/size][/font]
[size=3]o[/size] [font="times new roman"][size=3]Educational state.[/size][/font]
[font="times new roman"][size=3]It is certainly worthwhile trying to trace the records for the school and the local records office should be able to help you.[/size][/font]
[size=3][font="times new roman"]Paul[/font][/size]
paulberyl

Postby Mumlee » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi. My father was in an Industrial School, St Vincents in Dartford. He was sent there by the court for 'non compliance' which means that he refused to go to school. That was in 1908 when he was 8 years old. He had to stay there until he was either 15 or 16, but he was sent to Canada as part of the Child Migration scheme in 1914 before he reached the leaving age.
There is a website which lists the different Industiral Schools. If I find it I will put the link up.
Regards
Mumlee

Postby jsandra » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:30 am

Thank you I will take a look
Janet
jsandra

Postby Editor » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:53 pm

Try Peter Higginbotham's website, www.workhouses.org.uk and then select 'Other establishments' in the side panel and from there you can select 'Reformatories and Industrial schools' it includes a history and a list of schools in England/Wales and Scotland.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Return to General research queries