Moderator Control Panel ]

missing children

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

missing children

Postby jsandra » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:13 pm

After being able to see the beta version of 1911 census records. I found my great grandmother living in Birmingham. On the records it says she had 8 children born alive and 3 then died. We know of the 5 children who lived but noone mentioned any that died. How do I go about trying to find them? They would have been born between 1890 and 1911. None appear on any census records and my g grand parents kept moving round Yorkshire then to Birmingham . Any ideas gratefully accepted![&:]
jsandra

RE: missing children

Postby ksouthall » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:00 am

Hello,
If you know where your great-grandparents were living in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 Censuses, you could try looking in the BMD Indexes for possible births and death of infants in those areas.
Look for larger gaps between the ages of the surviving children to gain an idea of when the missing children may have been born as this could narrow down the birth years. Also check the earlier censuses again, in case any of the children who died are mentioned in them. If the family are listed at the bottom of the page, it is worth looking at the next page in case any children appear at the top of it.
It depends on how common their surname was as to how easy the missing children would be to find. Children's ages should be shown on the death indexes. If children died within in the first few days or weeks, their birth and death would often be registered at the same time, so may appear in both indexes in the same quarter. If they died unnamed, they could be registered as "male" or "female".
It is also possible that the children would have the same first names as subsequent children, so if one of the surviving children was called "Eliza Jane", do not rule out one with the same name as it was quite common for a child to be given the name of a dead older sibling.
Unfortunately, the only way to find out for sure is to buy the certificates which could get quite expensive. If you were lucky enough to get the right ones first time, the minimum you would spend would be £42.00 (6 certificates @ £7.00 each).
If you would like some help, you could put the names, approximate ages, ccupation and place of birth of your great-grandparents on this and other genealogy forums, as you may be lucky enough to find that a distant relative may also be researching them and have purchased the certificates already.
I hope this has given you a few ideas.

ksouthall

Postby jsandra » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:16 am

Thank you for all your help and ideas I will start working through them all thank you.

Just in case its possible for anyone to help ;Their names were

Thomas Edward Leach born 1870 Pancras London 1881 living Brighton 1891 living Blackburn year they got married 1901 living Birmingham His father Thomas Petwin Leach
Kate Elizabeth Griffiths also called Catherine and her real name was Jane! Born 1871 Astley Abbots Shropshire 1881 living Broseley Shropshire 1891 living Blackburn 1901 living Birmingham
Their children were
Harold Craven Leach born 1895 Wakefield
Cyril Edward Leach born 1898 Sheffield
Thomas Charles Leach born 1899 Birmingham
Leonard Victor leach born 1902 Birmingham
Mabel Eva leach born 1904 Birmingham

jsandra

Postby Ruth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:06 am

Try shortened versions of the names e.g. tommy for thomas. Took me ages to find one of my ancestors. I found an Elizabeth as Lizzie! Just a thought.

Ruth
R H Jenkins
Ruth

Postby ksouthall » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:26 am

Hello,
I have found the following in the Birth Index:-

Harold Craven Leach born 1895 Wakefield District
Cyril Edward Leach born 1897 Sheffield District
Thomas Charles Leach born 1899 West Bromwich District
Leonard Victor Leach born 1902 West Bromwich District
Mabel Eva Leach born 1904 Aston District

Violet L Leach born 1911 Q3 West Bromwich District Mother's Maiden Name Griffiths. This may not relate to your family and would not be one of the 3 who died and was included in the 1911 Census.

I found 53 Leach children who were born between 1890 and 1910 and who died between 1890 and 1910 in Blackburn District.
I found 12 Leach children who were born between 1890 and 1910 and who died between 1900 and 1910 in Aston District.

The only way to determine whether or not any of these were your ancestors would be to obtain birth and death certificates for them. It may be possible to eliminate some of them by looking at naming conventions within your family. I would start by looking at the Aston ones first as there are less of them and the youngest surviving child was born in 1904. That leaves a gap of 6 years before the 1911 Census, in which time 3 children could easily have been born.

I would try the following:-
Alfred Harry Leach Born and died in 1905 in Aston District
Gertrude Louisa Leach Born 1907 Died 1908 in Aston District

You could start by just buying the Death Certificates for each of the above as this should list the children's father in the occupation column. I have the death certificates of two ancestors who died due to premature birth, and their occupation was listed as "son of", despite the fact that they were both less than two days old when they died. That would cost you £14.00 and you would have a reasonable chance that one or more of them is your ancestor.

I hope this helps you to find two of them, but please don't blame me if it is neither of the above. I was able to find my two ancestors as they had an unusual surname, plus their parents came from Devon but they were born in Gloucestershire and Hertfordshire, so could not have belonged to any other family. Unfortunately for you, there were a lot of Leach births and deaths in the areas you are looking at.

ksouthall

Postby jsandra » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Thank you so much for all your help and ideas. There is plenty for me to look at. As you say it would be so much easier if the name wasn't leach as it seems a poplular surname!
jsandra

Return to General research queries