Moderator Control Panel ]

Help!! surname Norton & Brock

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help!! surname Norton & Brock

Postby treesrch » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:33 pm

I have had the good fortune of inheriting an old letter dated 1883 from my grandmother. After having a look at the letter I could not link it with any family that I knew of. My research had not led me to England at this point and I knew I did not have a Brock surname discovered so far. In time I was able to realize that the letter was written by Martha Brock - daughter of Martha Norton a sister to Richard Lee Norton who came to Canada. I am descended from him.
I have diligently as possible researched the Norton family from Great Yarmouth and the Brock family from Middlesex. Robert Brock b. 1819 in Middlesex was a silversmith and although, seemingly never married Martha Norton (have not found a marriage record), had five children with her. The family eventually settled in 93 Glenarm Rd., Lower Clapton. Two of the children died before marriage. Martha (the author of the letter) married but died shortly after. Edward another son, I have never found information on but Richard Brock had 4 children and I was able (with some help) to find that a son of his -Leonard Brock who married a Helen Baxter in 1926 and listed his place of residence as Kensington Rd., Oakhill, Stoke on Trent, his occupation Press Representative.
Leonard & Helen also had a son in 1928 - Richard Brock b. in Yorkshire.
I would like to connect with a descendant from the family.
Would they have owned their home at 93 Glenarm Rd.? How would I research this?

Richard Lee Norton who came to Canada was a mariner and his father Jeremiah Norton was as well. Jeremiah died aboard the the ship Norma in 1837. Jeremiah was married to Elizabeth Jillings and they lived in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. I am interested in connecting with other descendants from the Norton family as well.
Patricia in Alberta

treesrch

Return to General research queries