Moderator Control Panel ]

More interesting than Bolton Museum?

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

More interesting than Bolton Museum?

Postby Daniel Cossins » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:50 pm

This week a report in the local newspaper leaves Alan concerned about public perceptions of local museums.

Have your say about the importance of local museums below - [link=http://www.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare.com/localhistory.php]Click here[/link] to read the blog.
Daniel Cossins
Site Admin

RE: More interesting than Bolton Museum?

Postby ksouthall » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Having read Alan's blog, I can understand his concern about the public perception of local mueums.
Two years ago, we took our Beaver group to our local museum (Crawley museum) and a couple of weeks later, we also took them to a local watermill (Ifield Watermill). The Beavers were aged between 6 and 8 and seemed to really enjoy both visits.
Some said the visit to the watermill was "the best Beavers ever", despite the fact that the waterwheel was out of commission so could not be seen working. The watermill is effectively a museum as it has information about the history of the mill and displays artefacts.
I think encouraging children to go to local museums and places of interest from an early age will help to change people's perceptions of these facilities.
One issue I do have with local museums is that sometimes they can be overflowing with objects and information and it is too much for people to take in.
I recently went to Luton Museum (Bedfordshire) and their Stockwood Park Centre. Both of the facilities are well laid out, spacious and not overcrowded. More importantly, they are not too big and they vary the exhibits on display.
ksouthall

Return to Local history