Moderator Control Panel ]

Birth Record

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Birth Record

Postby ohforf » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:56 pm

I am looking for the birth record of Raymond Coffin on Ancestry. I am fairly sure I have found him 1949 Q3 as the mothers name should also be Coffin but in the index it says "or Gray" and the page number reference has been crossed out. Anyone seen this before?

PS. Raymond Coffin passed away in the 90's in France, would the death record be there as I cant seem to find it on Ancestry?

Thanks for any input.
My other signature is much better than this one.
ohforf

RE: Birth Record

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:26 pm

Perhaps Raymond Coffin's birth was re-registered? Did his mother marry his father after his birth? Or did he have a stepfather? Either way, sending for the birth certificate or contacting the Southampton Registrars would be the next move I would make.

The Register Office, 6A Bugle Street, Southampton, SO14 2LX.
[i]Tel[/i]: 023 8091 5327. [i]Fax:[/i] 023 8063 3431[i].
E-mail[/i]: [email=registrars@southampton.gov.uk]registrars@southampton.gov.uk[/email]

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby ohforf » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:26 pm

Yes his mum did marry his father after the birth, as you say I will have to order the cert. I guess I will have to pay for the GRO to search for it as I dont know what reference to use.

Thanks for your thoughts.
ohforf

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:43 pm

I'd use the contact details I supplied for Southampton (especially the email address) and ask them to check their registers for the third quarter and ask about the discrepancy - send them the image by email that shows the two surnames - that's what I'd do.

They can supply the birth certificate too - you don't have to use the GRO and you have big clues to supply Southampton.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby ohforf » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:33 pm

I will contact them and see how I get on, will post on here the outcome.

Again, many thanks :-)
ohforf

Postby ohforf » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:23 pm

Well I got a reply already from Southampton which is very fast service I think. However the answer leaves me with a bigger puzzle really. I quote the relevant bit below.

We have checked both of the entries that you have identified in your email – and they appear to be the same person. However on closer examination the mother that is identified in the entry for Raymond in our custody is not the same as the one that you have identified as the one that you need for your brother.

[color=#000000]I have now found my brother on ancestry. It seems for some reason the record I needed didn't index, I had to find the page before by using another surname and then page forward.[/color]
ohforf

Return to General research queries