Moderator Control Panel ]

advantage to subscribing

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

advantage to subscribing

Postby colliehouse » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:46 pm

I received my copy of the magazine in the post today and it made me so glad I subscribe. Once I'd battled through the wind and snow to feed the livestock and run the dogs I came in and curled up by the fire to start reading the magazine. Great not to have to go out for it and to get it early.
colliehouse

RE: advantage to subscribing

Postby Editor » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:23 pm

Your posting has made our afternoon. Here we are wrapped up in our cardies (no snow here yet though) putting together our January issue and it's lovely to hear from subscribers who are enjoying our December issue. Reminds us why we are all here! I rather like the sound of your fire - I can almost hear it crackling.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby pre1837 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:30 am

If existing subscribers were to cancel their subscription, claim the balance back and re-order a new subscription, would they get the free Encyclopedia Of Genealogy book, worth £25?
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby Editor » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:50 pm

Well we are trying to encourage [i]new[/i] subscribers with our offers.
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Patron » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:06 am

Personally I would prefer a cheaper subscription than a special offer of a book or whatever it is. But as the magazine stands at the momment I only buy it when there is something of interest to me. So far I have only bought 2 this year, although in fairness I have to say I haven't bought that many more mags of the oppostion either.
In these days of belt tightening buying any magazine that contains nothing of interest to that person is a waste of money.
I am sorry if this offends but whats the point of not giving an honest answer?
Patron

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:40 pm

I understand everyone's need to tighten their belt in the credit crunch; but to be honest I've found articles that at the time are of no interest often become of interest later in your research. For example, until I discovered a transported convict I didn't have much interest in convict research or Australian research.

Until I discovered I had a relative in an asylum, I wasn't particularly interested in asylum articles. Until I discovered I had a relatve who fought in the Crimean War, I wasn't very interested in military research or the Crimean War. Now I keep all my magazines and use them as a great big reference library and have main articles indexed on a Word document for easy reference. [:)]

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby Features Editor » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi there
We try to make sure that there's something for everyone in each issue, but if there's a topic that you'd really like us to cover then let us know and we'll try to oblige…
Oh and you'll be glad to know that we have some Crimean War content coming up soon, FamilyHistoryAddict!
Features Editor

Postby Lou79 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:13 pm

FHA - I totally agree. You never know who you are going to come across while searching. What isnt relevant now could well be in the future. I keep all my mags just incase.

On that, does anyone know, if I brought the binder to keep them all in do I have to put holes in my mags to file them ?

Lou
Lou79

Postby Features Editor » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:03 pm

Hi Lou79
No hole-punch required!
The binders have a clever wire system that you slip along the spine of the centre pages of each magazine to hold it in place within the binder.

Features Editor

Postby colliehouse » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:03 pm

Hi Lou79
No, you don't need to put holes in the mag. The binders come with neat little metal rods that go into the middle of the magazine and attach to the top and bottom of the binder (hope that makes sense).
The binders are good quality and easy to put the mags into.
colliehouse

Next

Return to Magazine chat