Moderator Control Panel ]

advantage to subscribing

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

RE: advantage to subscribing

Postby Lou79 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:36 pm

Thanks for your replies - thats good to know. Ill look into purchasing one now I know my mags wont have holes in them!

Thanks,

Lou
Lou79

Postby Patron » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:53 pm

I did used to keep all my old mags, but after a while I soon found I had not got the room to keep them. I had something in the region of 5 years worth. Have you any idea how much space that takes up??? I doubt it,still WDYTYA? hasn't been around as long as the other mags. On checking through to remove any relivant article I found most address/websites, etc to be out of date and often no longer available, as was the information they contained.

So as I said I only buy when there is something I am interested in, apparently this offends some......I would rather spend the money on obtaining a birth/marriage/death certificate
Patron

Postby pre1837 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:00 am

Why is [i]WDYTYA?[/i] printed on non-standard sized paper so that an ordinary A4 binder will not house them. Commercial reasons? Even all the [i]Which?[/i] mags go in a standard binder!
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby Editor » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:46 pm

Well at the moment we are sending a free binder to anyone who submits an Eyewitness account that we use on our letters page...
Editor
Site Admin

Postby paulberyl » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:13 am

I thought I would add my four pennyworth to this discussion. Three of my main interests are family history research, history in general and dog training and over the years I built up a collection of literally hundreds of magazines. This presented me with two problems: storage and finding specific articles which I could remember reading but couldn't remember in which magazine. I therefore started an exercise scanning and indexing all relevant articles (or in some cases whole magazines). I was fortunate at the time in being able to use a commercial scanner rather than a personal home scanner.

Nowadays there are only two magazines that I buy monthly, WDYTYA and the BBC History Magazine. Other magazines I buy as and when if they contain something I feel is interesting. When I have finished reading them I scan and index them. I can therefore "keep" all the magazines with minimal storage as well as being able to find articles relatively easily.

Paul
paulberyl

Postby pre1837 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:46 am

I noticed in a catalogue I had requested and came today, by return of post (!), that it shows two particular family tree magazines are available with a whole year's magazines stored on CDs for only £9.99 each going back to 1984. Perhaps [i]WDYTYA?[/i] could do this as it would work out a lot less expensive than buying seperate 'back issues' even if they are available. Of course, one would not get the 'cover disk', but how many of these get used? I am, as I have stated before, waiting for 'Hampshire' to be on a cover disk.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby ksouthall » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:36 am

Buying CD's with back issues is a very good idea.
Another possibility would be if we could download back issues direct from the website into a PDF file, in the same way that you can download records from the National Archives.
Both options could help reduce the amount of paper used to produce the magazine.
ksouthall

Postby Annie08 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:40 am

I've just renewed my yearly subscription to WDYTYA? magazine and was asked if I subscribe to another BBC publication, however I didn't have details of the other's subscription (BBC Good Food) with me at the time which was a shame as I could have got a reduction in price on the other one's subscription. I shall remember for next time, but thought I'd share it here, could be useful to know for anyone else.

Annie08
Annie08

Postby noseyoap » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:56 am

I have subscribed to the magazine for a year now and have renewed my subscription. I find it very interesting reading and have used many of the websites, I even won a boxed set of WDYTYA dvd's for submitting a letter about finding my ancestors using one of the websites mentioned. I think it is good value for money (especially when subscribing) as it covers so many different aspects of family history.
noseyoap

Previous

Return to Magazine chat