Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 The women's war?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW1 The women's war?

Postby colliehouse » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:10 pm

I've only recently developed an interest in WW1 having found that my GGrandfather died in it so there may be lots of information about this subject that I don't know about. I was talking to someone the other day whose GGrandmother remarried only a few months following the death of her 1st husband in WW1. My GGrandmother did the same. Knowing that many women whose fiance's died never married at all it made me wonder about why some never married and others seemed to marry very soon. What was life like for women during WW1? Anyone know a resource to find out information about this? Is the magazine likely to cover this subject at some point?
colliehouse

RE: WW1 The women's war?

Postby Editor » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:10 pm

We had a feature on the subject of all the single women left after the first world war in our first issue (there were still a few back issues left when I last checked - call 0844 844 0939). It was written by Virginia Nicholson and based on her book 'Singled Out'. It was very moving and really brought home the problem of a shortage of men. That was post-WWI though. We haven't done anything on the life that women led during WWI. I shall put it on the list...

Sarah

p.s. hope you enjoy the WWI book coming with our November issue on Tuesday
Editor
Site Admin

Postby pre1837 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:56 pm

Sarah,

I was suprised to read your thread above where you stated that you still had some of the first edition available. Some time ago it was stated that the first issue was out of print and there were no copies left.
Can you give a list of all the issues that ARE available please as there are several that I might be interested in as, I expect, other may also be.

Peter.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby colliehouse » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:03 am

Thanks Sarah
I will have to look out the 1st edition and re-read it.
colliehouse

Postby Editor » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:30 pm

We thought we had sold out of issue one, but some boxes of them were found and they are now with our back issues department. The only ones we have sold out of are issue 2 (Alistair McGowan), issue 4 (Barbara Windsor) and issue 12 (Patsy Kensit) and we are running low on issue 11 (Nigella Lawson).

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Return to Military help