Moderator Control Panel ]

Local history -Disabled pauper apprentices

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Local history -Disabled pauper apprentices

Postby RosemaryHall » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:53 pm

I would be grateful for any help on the following question. I have been carrying out some research on pauper apprentices in Warwickshire from ca.1834-1900. I discovered that in the case of pauper apprentices (possibly all apprentices?)were required to have a certificate signed by the medical officer, to say they were in good health, before they entered upon their apprenticeship. In the case of disabled apprentices, the medical officer would give an exemption, along the lines of "John Smith is lame and unable to undertake most forms of work,but is able to undertake...[job specified]." I have found just a few examples of such exemptions - a girl lamed in an accident, at least one blind child, another lame boy & a youngster described as deaf-&-dumb. But I have discovered a case of a boy who was subject to occasional fits - I need to check to see if evidence survives of whether he was given exemption. I would like to find out whether the law or regulations specified [i]which [/i]conditions qualified as disaiblities - and whether any other readers have encountered examples of their ancestors or of other individuals who were disabled and apprenticed. I am interested in whether the premium offered tended to be larger, the type of occupation entered into, and whether any special help was given. (For example, if an institution for the blind &c offered help with the premium.)
Apologies for a long question, but I would be grateful for any assistance.
RosemaryHall

RE: Local history -Disabled pauper apprentices

Postby pre1837 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:43 pm

Open up this thread again
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Return to Local history