Moderator Control Panel ]

Military question

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Military question

Postby Swanagesunrise » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:00 am

I'm new here, but hope someone can help. I have been trying to track records of my late father and my late grandfathers military background, I did find out which regiment my father served (Middlesex), but I hadn't banked on so many battalions within that regiment. I did enquire with the MOD office, but heard nothing (this was almost a year ago) and although I have one photo of dad in his uniform, I can't make out the badge (which may or may not tell me). The other problem is that first when my dad died, I was told his wife had thrown the picture of him in the regiment out, then I'm told she had given pictures of him to an uncle of his that I have never heard of or ever seen. The other problem I have is I have no idea of my grandfathers military history, and because I only know he was in both wars and had the rank of a Major (because it was always in the phonebook) and also that he was in the Homeguards at some point, again without info I don't know where else to look. I did come up with a few people, but one certificate I got turned out not to be him. I don't have much money and I was wondering how I can make sure I'm not wasting the little I have coming up with unrelated people. I'd be grateful of any advice that may help. Thank you [:)]
Swanagesunrise

RE: Military question

Postby paulberyl » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi,

I do not know whether your father was an officer or not, but as your grandfather was an officer my first port of call would be the Army List which contains details of officers and through which it is possible to trace promotions. The Lists should be available at your closest central library.

Also if your grandfather was in the Army in 1918 and you know his address you could try searching the Absent Voters List for 1918.

These sources should not only give regiment but also regimental number which should help further research.

I would also recommend joining a local family history society as these can provide invaluable assistance in helping track down ancestors.

Paul
paulberyl

Return to Photo identification