Moderator Control Panel ]

Beach House Hotel, Deal, Kent

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Beach House Hotel, Deal, Kent

Postby mcrouch » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:26 pm

This photo shows a dining room and servants at the Beach House Hotel in Deal. It may have been a Temperance hotel and both my grandfather and great-grandfather, James and Samuel Robinson Jefferson were proprietors there for some time.

I would welcome any information about the hotel and its staff around the late 1800's, early 1900's but would specifically be interested if anybody is able to put a date on this photograph. I'm guessing the lady in black may be a relative although there are a few women in that branch of the family - it would be helpful to date it and pin it down a bit.

I would be grateful for any help anyone can offer on this.

Thank you,

Michael.

[image]local://166/FA84D42B7522495EA74A49DFCDA34BF4.jpg[/image]
mcrouch

RE: Beach House Hotel, Deal, Kent

Postby snaphappy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:06 am

Hi Michael,

Staff members, be it domestic house staff or trade, can be, at times, very hard to give a date to as, as arule there is not much to go on in the way of clues. However there are some bits of information within this photograph that would indicate to me that this study was taken after 1910 and before 1914/15.

If you look at the hemline on the skirts you will see that there is a show of ankle. Hemlines started to rise from about 1910 at first it was just above the toe line but the time of the first world war it rose to be around midway between the knee and the ankle where it was to stay for a while longer before raising yet again in the twenties.

The other thing that indicates to me the time span that I have mentioned is that some of the waitresses have their hair styled in a loose pompadour style which although had been around since about 1897 had, by the time that this photograph had been taken, taken on a more looser style than before and had by this time developed a central parting which can be made with those standing at the back right. By the middle of the 1st ww this style was on the way out as a new fresher style started to come in.

hope it helps

snaphappy
snaphappy

RE: Beach House Hotel, Deal, Kent

Postby mcrouch » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:53 am

Snaphappy,

Many thanks for the pointers. I was unaware of the changing fashions you mention but your dating helps me with some other photos I have and possibly identifying my relative in this photo. Thanks for your help,

Michael.
mcrouch

Re: RE: Beach House Hotel, Deal, Kent

Postby kimlee » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:28 am

mcrouch wrote:Snaphappy,

Many thanks for the pointers. I was unaware of the changing fashions you mention but your dating helps me with some other photos I have and possibly identifying my relative in this photo. Thanks for your help,

Michael.

Don't you love this site and how everyone can help each other in a round about way?
I sure do!
Cheers,
Kim Lee
Pet Freindly LA Hotel
kimlee

Re: Beach House Hotel, Deal, Kent

Postby pre1837 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:44 pm

What Photo? Cannot see anything? Where is the picture or the link?
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby maryparks » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:18 am

pre1837 wrote:Cheap Palm Springs HotelLake Tahoe Resort What Photo? Cannot see anything? Where is the picture or the link?

I cannot see a photo either. I have no idea what they are talking about????
Cheers,
Mary
maryparks

Postby ksouthall » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:15 pm

I think the photo has disappeared because the original message was posted in October 2007, before the website was upgraded.

I have noticed that a lot of photos displayed before the upgrade last summer have disappeared.

Mind you, I can never seem to be able to upload photos anyway as they are too big. Does anyone know how I can make jpeg files smaller so that I can upload them please?
ksouthall

Postby Past Times » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:17 pm

ksouthall wrote:Does anyone know how I can make jpeg files smaller so that I can upload them please?

This site offers free downloadable software to re-size pics:

http://www.irfanview.com

Alternatively, you should be able to resize them using the software you have on your pc which you use to open and view them. Go to file>options>re-size.
Quaerentes Semper Familia Generationes
Past Times

Return to Photo identification