Moderator Control Panel ]

Changing of street names..

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Changing of street names..

Postby shazie » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:16 am

Hi, am wondering if anyone can shed any light on why street names were changed. You see my gt gt grandfather was born at 28 Princes Street, Shoreditch, have found the street on an 1861 map, but then in 1895 the street has had its name changed to Chambord Street, (sorry not sure of the spelling, only saw it breifly at a Family History Fayre), the gentleman who was helping me couldn't explain this. Can anyone else shed any light please, am very intrigued.

Thanks Sharon
shazie

RE: Changing of street names..

Postby paulberyl » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:53 am

Hi Sharon,

Street names can change for any number of reasons. A few exampls are: to disassociate the road from an "unsavoury" past such as the redevelopment of slum areas; to honour a local or national hero; to honour a famous battle/victory; (nowadays) to replace a "politically incorrect" name; at the whim of the local council or at the request of local residents (who may want a more "up market" name for their road).

You may find that the local history group can provide information as to why the name of a particular road changed.

Regards,

Paul
paulberyl

Postby Terri » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:33 pm

Following on from Paul's suggestions; where I live in Southampton, as surrounding districts were incorporated into the city there were a number of duplicated street names, as a result to avoid confusion street names were changed.

Terri
Terri

Postby Alan Crosby » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi Sharon,

I agree with what Paul and Terri have already said - street-names were very often chanhged in the 1840s and 1850s because of the introduction of the new 'Penny Post' in 1840s. for the first time the GPO needed a comprehensive delivery service to all potential addresses, and the very frequent duplication of street-names caused chaos. I don't know how many Princes Streets there were in east London in the 1840s, but my guess is quite a few - so the local authorities began to implement a policy of sorting out the duplicates and renaming (usually, for example, a minor road called Princes Street might be relabelled, whereas a major thoroughfare with that name would keep its title). Another possibility is simplification--quite often two parts of the same road might have different names, but the GPO/local council would simplify matters by combining them both under one name.

Thanks ofr the message,

Alan Crosby
Alan Crosby

Postby shazie » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:26 pm

Thanks everyone for your lovely replies, has solved a question long been unanswered. I now know the street is still there today in London. Thanks .
shazie

Return to Local history