Moderator Control Panel ]

South Wales Coalfield

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

South Wales Coalfield

Postby RLowis » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:50 pm

Is there any plans to do a feature on the South Wales Coalfield. Many of my ancestors moved from the surrounding English counties into Wales as the Coalfield grew. A fascinating visit to Big Pit, Blaenavon gave me a general insight into their lives, and I think this is an area so far neglected by your brilliant magazine.
RLowis

RE: South Wales Coalfield

Postby Toffeetaffy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:00 pm

I will definitely support this one!!

Although I was born and raised in South Wales (as were my parents and grandparents), the majority of my great grandparents moved there from the west country to work in the mines.

I would love to know how these people were recruited.
Toffeetaffy

Postby Annie08 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:50 am

I echo this idea. My ancestors moved from Somerset to the South Wales Coalfields in the 1870s, so something along these lines would be great.

Annie08
Annie08

Postby Simon in Bucks » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:56 pm

Excellent idea - a really good feature on the South Wales coalfields, would be great.

I also went to the Big Pit at Blaenavon - at the end of May 2008. Most interesting indeed.

And my Great Grandfather went from Herefordshire to South Wales in the early 1880's, switching from Tin Mining to Coal Mining. I'd be most interested to know how he might have been recruited - was there a house promised etc etc
Simon in Bucks

Return to Genealogy chat