Moderator Control Panel ]

SAGE photo from Bristol

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

SAGE photo from Bristol

Postby orange » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:10 am

Hi,

This photo was sent to me by an American cousin and we think a member of our SAGE family of Bristol. It was taken/ printed by Villiers and Duick, 57 Park Street who were listed 1879-1912 but the clothes they are wearing look older than this.
Can anyone help date this photo for me?
Thankyou

[image]local://146/50FCF71B22A94FAC8434DEAB611690D5.jpg[/image]
orange

RE: SAGE photo from Bristol

Postby Rebecca Arnold » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:06 pm

This photograph demonstrates the caution needed when dating images of older people. While for the young, current or recent fashions are most likely to be worn, older people often retain the styles of their youth, and may wear garments that were fashionable twenty or thirty years earlier than the date of the photograph. The man’s clothes would conform to 1860s styles, as does the woman’s dark cape. However, she does not wear the distinctive crinoline shape of that decade, which may have been removed as a nod towards moving fashions. It is most likely therefore that this photograph is from the 1880s. The clothes do not look crisp and new, and the sitters’ age makes this more likely than the date of the actual garments.
Rebecca Arnold

RE: SAGE photo from Bristol

Postby orange » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:10 pm

Hello Rebecca,

Thank you very much for your post dating this photograph. It is very helpful in helping to identify the couple in it and I'm very grateful for your time. How do you date the man's suit and the womans cloak to the 1860s?
Happy holidays

Orange
orange

Return to Photo identification