Moderator Control Panel ]

Re PatrickGeoghan

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re PatrickGeoghan

Postby Maudie » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:33 pm

Re the above entry about the workhouse.

As mentioned, the eldest son Patrick Geoghan, was not as far as I can find,sent away.

I am therefore hoping to trace him, is there anyone else researching the Geoghan/Gagan family who could help me find him or rather any descendants of his?

He was born in Stafford son of Louisa Paddison and Stephen Geoghan (born abt 1841 Ireland)
they were last sighted together on the 1871 census living at Cherry Street, then by 1881 Louisa and the children were in the workhouse in Stoke on Trent.

Did Stephen desert her? he did not appear on any othe census until 1901 wen he was then in Liverpool, where he died in 1913.

From reading, I discovered that Cherry Street was in a slum area and the houses not very habitable,
poor Louisa she muct have been in dire straits. No wonder she remarried in 1881, Alfred Davis had also been in the same workhouse, possibly she had known him previous to then?
she had stated however, that she was a widow when remarrying, but that could not have been true!
had she assumed he had died in Ireland perhaps?

Seeking ancestors in India,George Nelson Grant descendants, Copeland, Paddison and many more
see webpage www.tribalpages.com/tribes/jarvisbarr
Maudie

Return to Genealogy chat