Moderator Control Panel ]

1891 my gt grandfather had acquired a new "wife"Leading to bigamy

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

1891 my gt grandfather had acquired a new "wife"Leading to bigamy

Postby Maudie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:50 pm

In 1891 my gt grandfather had acquired a new "wife" Annie Packer.
He married her in 1910 stating he was now a widower, but it apears he was not! so this is yet aonther instance of bigamy in my family history!

I wonder if any of them were discovered?howcould I find out?
Seeking ancestors in India,George Nelson Grant descendants, Copeland, Paddison and many more
see webpage www.tribalpages.com/tribes/jarvisbarr
Maudie

Re: 1891 my gt grandfather had acquired a new

Postby spweldon2 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Unfortunately this was quite a common occurance as most people couldn't afford to divorce unless they were wealthy. I too have found a Great Grandfather who left his wife to live with another woman ,who was reffered to as his wife in his obituary, although I can find no marriage certificate for them in the registers. His family never heard from him again, so lucky for him he was never found out. I have found him in the 1911 census living in Stockton on Tees using a different name. Our Family live in Birmingham so this was a family mystery for at least 109 years. Most people( if they were clever, either used a new name or moved far enough away to never be detected.
spweldon2

Re: 1891 my gt grandfather had acquired a new

Postby bandit » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi

I have found a marriage between Annie Packer with either
GEORGE GRANT OR EARNEST MILLS IN DERBY for 1910

is this your relation.?
bandit
bandit

Re: 1891 my gt grandfather had acquired a new "wife"Leading

Postby pete25 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:37 pm

One of my 2nd great grand uncles got '6 months' in prison back in 1842 for bigamy.
It was ancestry.co.uk who highlighted this for me after I entered him into my family history.
My 2nd great grand uncle was from Manchester, but his trial was held in Liverpool.
I don't think this 6 months in prison cured my 2nd great grand uncle because he, I think, he went on to do it again.
I have found my 2nd great grand uncle on all his census returns and I think I could right a book about his life...so checkered.
Kind regards,
Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Re: 1891 my gt grandfather had acquired a new "wife"Leading

Postby pete25 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:44 pm

Sorry: 'write a book'

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Return to Genealogy chat