Moderator Control Panel ]

Stephen Matthews - Hungary? Civil engineer / Naval officer - Help!

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Stephen Matthews - Hungary? Civil engineer / Naval officer - Help!

Postby ratpackman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:13 am

I've been trying to find out a 'bit' about my ggg grandfather, Stephen Matthews. I know virtually nothing about his side of the family and would love to find out more about the 2 things that I do know about him...first of all, he had travelled to Hungary around the early 1840's (as his daughter was born there) and secondly, he was a Naval officer (picture below).

i) Could anybody help with the uniform he is dressed in - rank etc?

ii) His daughter, Georgina Tabitha Elizabeth Martin Matthews, was born in Hungary. I'd love to know how she came to be born there...

We have the marriage certificate for Stephen Matthews, he married a Maria Martin in St Blazey, Cornwall in August 1841. He is detailed as a civil engineer - Georgina his daughter was born in Hungary in March 1845. Therefore Stephen's job must have taken him to Hungary - there are strong links between the Brits and Hungary back at that time with a lot of building going on. Would anybody know how to shed any light on what he was doing there - I think the answer maybe: go to Hungary!?

I can find no trace of Georgina prior to the UK 1881 census. She had married a Philip Blamey in November 1875. Georgina's father (Stephen Matthews) was listed then as a Naval officer. She is detailed as living in Penwerris, Falmouth. Witnesses to that marriage were Stephen himself and a Nelly Matthews.

I don't know if she had any brothers or sisters and I'm guessing the reason she is not on previous census was that she was abroad / with her father?

Any help very greatly appreciated.

Alan

[image]local://967/51AEBD54EF814D688D0A1FFA2D29037A.gif[/image]
ratpackman

Return to Photo identification