Moderator Control Panel ]

Identification of Army Uniform Please

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Identification of Army Uniform Please

Postby Shazann67 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:16 am

Hi

I have just been given this photograph of my Gt. Grandfather, James Joseph Turner, born c.1879. I am unable to find any information about him, other than the fact he married my Gt. Grandmother Louisa Pepperell in 1904. Does anybody recognise the uniform he is wearing so that I might be able to trace him through Army Records.

Many thanks.

[image]local://861/0ED12163831647F482B26748C0850860.jpg[/image]
Shazann67

RE: Identification of Army Uniform Please

Postby snaphappy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:36 am

The uniform that he is wearing would place him somewhere within the 1st ww period. By the look of it the jacket would appear to an economy jacket which was issued from 1915. On his sleeve is shown his Good Conduct Chevrons for nine years unblemished service (one for each three years of service). The cap badge is a tad too small to identify properly but at a stab I would suggest that it could be The Essex Regiment -scroll work at the base and half way up at the sides with oak leaf wreath above scroll work, at the top would be a sphinx and in the middle would be castle and key of Gibraltar- if you could repost an image just showing the cap badge at a bigger res' it may help to identify it better.

a search of the MIC's does not show any James Joseph Turner but there is an entry for a Joseph James Turner service number 21439, Rank Private, Essex Regiment Depot. Not saying that this is your man but one never knows.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Postby Shazann67 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:43 am

Hi Snaphappy

Firstly may I say thank you very much for responding to this enquiry. I have now in fact posted this on the Great War Forum as recommended by somebody who was helping me with another enquiry, and have it confirmed that it is indeed an "economy" style uniform issued between 1915/16 and he is indeed a member of The Essex Regiment. However, it cannot be confirmed whether or not "Joseph James Turner" is in fact one of the same.

I have been very fortunate to have been taken under the wing by some wonderful members on the GW Forum, and are doing all they can to assist me in finding out just who exactly James Joseph Turner was (other than just being my Gt. Grandfather that is).

Again, I sincerely thank you for taking the time and trouble to assist, and appreciate all the information you have given me - it just reconfirms everything else that I have been told to date.

Many thanks
Sharon
Shazann67

Postby snaphappy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:46 pm

Any time Sharon, only too pleased to have been of help.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Return to Photo identification