Moderator Control Panel ]

Updating my query

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Updating my query

Postby Maudie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:20 pm

I am still trying in vain to trace which regiment my grandfather may have been in when he would have been fighting? in the Boar War.

Can anyone help me please please, are there any lists of names that I could check, even if I do not know which regiment he was in. Most likely could have been a Scottish one as he was living in Greenock at the time he would have joined the army?

Possibly he could have joined when he was discharged from a reformatory school, he had been sentenced to 6 years for stealing newspapers, when he was aged 11/12 years old. Unfortunately the school in question have no records available for 1881 when this event happened, and there is no one I can now ask for any details, all my rellies are now gone.
so I have to rely on asking for help. Thank you.
Seeking ancestors in India,George Nelson Grant descendants, Copeland, Paddison and many more
see webpage www.tribalpages.com/tribes/jarvisbarr
Maudie

RE: Updating my query

Postby paulberyl » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:46 am

There are some records at the National Archives but a good starting point may be The Anglo-Boer War web pages at [link=http://www.genealogyworld.net/boer/index.html]http://www.genealogyworld.net/boer/index.html[/link]

Paul
paulberyl

RE: Updating my query

Postby Maudie » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:53 pm

Thank you paulberyl for your information re my query about the Boer War
I will try that and see what I can find.

Took me a little while to figure out how to post my reply!
I completely forgot that I had first to log in, I had not done so, and was puzzled why I could not see where to send a reply! must be the old gray cells giving way to old age at last!!
Anyway, once again thanks for your help it is appreciated.
Seeking ancestors in India,George Nelson Grant descendants, Copeland, Paddison and many more
see webpage www.tribalpages.com/tribes/jarvisbarr
Maudie

Return to Military help