Moderator Control Panel ]

Ancestors in the news

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Ancestors in the news

Postby vintagefinelady » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:53 pm

[size=3]I have been fascinated by the wealth of local detail you can find in back copies of local newspapers[/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3]A guy called Peter Boreham has produced a book Daily Life in Bromley and Neighbourhood 1858-1900. It is clippings of news reports of the time, and it enticed me to explore more newspapers of the period.[/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3]One of my ancestors was reported as having died following an accidental poisoning and another was prosecuted for wanton cruelty to a heifer.[/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3]It is great to be able to get an insight into what our ancestors were getting up to.[/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3]Has anyone else had any luck looking back through press cuttings?[/size]
[size=3] [/size]
vintagefinelady

RE: Ancestors in the news

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:26 pm

Hi Vintagefinelady,

Love the name! Yes, I've had lots of luck in finding newspaper articles about my relatives (mainly inquest reports) but a few reports when they broke the law too.

My family mainly come from East Anglia so I spend a lot of time at Suffolk Record Office and the Millennium Library at Norwich looking at newspapers. For anyone with East Anglian relatives, I Read It In The Local Rag by Pip Wright contains snippets of stories from East Anglian newspapers.

[link=http://www.poppyland.co.uk/index.php?s=LOCALRAGACT]http://www.poppyland.co.uk/index.php?s=LOCALRAGACT[/link]

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby vintagefinelady » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:26 pm

Hi FHA

I also found inquest information of my paternal grandfather in a local paper. In the following weeks paper there was a full list of the mourners at his funeral, which gave me some brilliant leads.

The trouble is when you start looking through the cuttings you can get sidetracked, but it is all background information I guess

VFL
vintagefinelady

Postby keldon » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:43 pm

Local newspapers are great for information, but the problem is finding the information! Unless you have a date or specific period to look for, or the newspaper in digitised and searchable, then it is very laborious to search through weeks and weeks of editions.

Having said that, you certainly get a feel of the time and place, and see some interesting and suprising things.

In the late 1980s I spent two years going through microfilm copies of a 19th century Essex newspaper looking for articles mentioning my village. I found some really useful gems. It made it all worthwhile.

I look forward to the British Library's project to digitise 2 million pages of British newspapers being funded by [size="-1"]The Joint Information Systems Committee. They have not stated which newspapers, but I hope it is some county and regional ones.
[/size][align=left] [/align]
Keldon

historyhouse.co.uk
History of Essex
keldon

Postby vintagefinelady » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:43 pm

Hi Phil

I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say

[quote]ORIGINAL: keldon

you certainly get a feel of the time and place, and see some interesting and suprising things.

[size=-1][/size][align=left][/align]
[/quote]

It is all down to how much time you have to spare I guess.
vintagefinelady

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:00 pm

I never look for an inquest newspaper report unless I have obtained the death certificate first. This cuts down drastically on the amount of pages you need to look through. It is worth buying the certificate for £7 to save you time alone! [;)]

To save time in finding law reports, have a look through the Quarter Sessions for your relatives surnames. At Suffolk they have these indexed by surname and this can quickly lead you to newspaper items if the case was reported in the newspaper.

Some record offices don't seem to have these Quarter Sessions indexed by surname and then it will be more of a slog! [:(]

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby suesqueezel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:16 am

Hi,
I found my G Grandfather's obit in his local paper, once i'd found out when he'd died, also while searching the London Gazette, i came across a record of a bankrupcy order he and a fellow butcher brought against a customer - he was a wholesale butcher. The London Gazette is on line and covers much more than just WW1 & WW2 promotions and awards - though worth going through for this. I need to go back to Pontypridd and search the newspapers there to see what else i can find.
Sue
sue
suesqueezel

Postby Gmac101 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:40 am

Hi

If you have any ancestors involved in business in anyway at all the London Gazette is worth searching. I found details of my Great Great Grandfathers various bankruptcies and corporate failures and how he passed ownership of various properties to his wife. I found details of his business associates which explained how some of his daughters met their husbands and I found out where he carried out his business. I then used the company details to find the records of the companies some of which were still held at the national archives.

Searching the records is free and well worth it

Gavin
Gmac101

Postby Mark1973 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:26 pm

I find local history books sometimes have good information, i found a picture of my gggGrandfathers house in a book of Mitcham, Surrey and i have a book on Ruislip in Middlesex and about 75% of the surnames in that are on my family tree.

Another trick i have done is using Google Earth i have downloaded old 1871 maps from [link=http://www.old-maps.co.uk/]http://www.old-maps.co.uk/[/link] and overlapping them on Google Earth and using the transparent slide i can see exactly where certain locations are today (using railway lines to line up the pictures works excellently)

Mark.
Mark1973

Postby Jeeps » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:26 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Gmac101
If you have any ancestors involved in business in anyway at all the London Gazette is worth searching. [/quote]

Based on this reply I did a blanket search of the Gazette for a surname in my tree. I have a number of entries in the Supplement to the London Gazette from the late 1800s, some of which also have the name of a bank as a heading. The same names appear on subsequent years and the layout is columns with name, residence and occupation. I'm sorry to sound so dense but what am I looking at here? Are they shareholders of the Bank??

Here's a page if that helps. [link=http://www.londongazette.co.uk/ViewPDF.aspx?pdf=23953&geotype=London&gpn=836&type=ArchivedIssuePage&all=bunbury&exact=&atleast=&similar]http://www.londongazette.co.uk/ViewPDF.aspx?pdf=23953&geotype=London&gpn=836&type=ArchivedIssuePage&all=bunbury&exact=&atleast=&similar[/link]= Thank you. :)
~~Jeeps~~
Jeeps

Next

Return to Local history