Moderator Control Panel ]

My Family

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

My Family

Postby *Steph* » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:30 pm

In 1841, my Fathers, mothers, fathers, fathers side of the family were living in London, sadly due to the condition of the census, we cannot read an awful lot of it. James Pennethorne and his wife Frances Parker had eight Children. Fanny Pennethorne (no info) Deane Parker (1835-1917) Rev. Gregory Walton Pennethorne (1837-1915) Blanche Pennethorne (1839-) Rose Pennethorne (1842-) Annie S Pennethorne (1844-) Frank Pennethorne (1847-1913) and My GG Grandfather Lee Percy Pennethorne who was married to Harriet Esther Cross daughter of Katherine Matilda Winn of Nostell, Yorkshire.

James was made a Sir for his work in architecture.

They had Three children..Roddice, James and Diana Pennethorne. James Pennethorne married Mabel Miller (no info found) and had one Child Elizabeth Joan Pennethorne born in Cairo in 1923 who married John Reuben Hobbs and had one Son, Christopher Hobbs, who is my Father.
Steph**
*Steph*

RE: My Family

Postby pre1837 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:33 am

I do not know if it is the same person, but if you Google 'Sir James Pannethorne, Architect' there are a great many entries about it including an illegitimate connection. As I say, I do not know if this is your James.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby *Steph* » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:36 pm

Hi, yeh, He is the same man, what does it say about the illegitimate connection. Yeh, there are lots of REALLY good reviews and some slamming ones, everyone's opinion. Would be great to hear back.

Many Thanks
Steph
Steph**
*Steph*

Postby sarkysod » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:20 am

Unfortunately the 1841 Census gives you the bare bones of the concept which is why much of what we desire is missing. Even if we're fortunate enough to have our respective surnames spelt in a manner that we can recognise often the details will be ..... hmmmm whats the word? CRAP. Yes that will do. Now to be fair, occassionally, the enumerator will have had to contend with senile people. However one man's feast is another man's slobbering feast and hell if you're lucky (which I wasn't until 1861) then you're quids in... and if not better luck next time!
sarkysod

Postby ksouthall » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:20 am

I know what you mean. I finally found one of my ancestors in the 1841 Census when I tried to trace his younger sister, Mary Smith. Not an easy name to narrow down, however her borther, my great-great-great-grandfather, Peter Smith, and his parents Stephen and Elizabeth were recorded under the wrong surname. The enumerator entered them as Smith STEPHEN, so they all had the wrong surname.
I was only able to find them after I found Mary SMITH entered correctly on the next page.
They lived in Chiddingly, East Sussex, and I am also lucky enough to have a disc with full details of Stephen and Elizabeth's family in the 1821 Census that I picked up at a local family history fair.
ksouthall

Return to Genealogy chat