Moderator Control Panel ]

Boris Johnson

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Boris Johnson

Postby saddo » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:26 pm

come on guys, who is excited about watching Boris Johnson? 5 minutes is bad enough on the news at 10 let alone a full hour!! NOT ME!!! to be truthful he is the most boring man alive and i will not be bored into watching him again and again, so what about his past, GET A LIFE BORIS!! Lets get some interesting people on here, i mean come on WDYTYA why Jerry Springer, let American TV do this so we don't have to watch it and your ratings will not go down then. who are we to expect next? The Simpson's??? We want to know about English past ancestors and history so bring it on! Who agrees with me??[image]http://forum.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]
saddo

RE: Boris Johnson

Postby pre1837 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:43 am

Not me.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby margaretabram » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:26 pm

I don't agree with you. Boris has a huge fan base (proved possibly by the recent election for Mayor of London). It is interesting to see why one person has got to where there are today, for whatever reason, and if there is anything in the family history that makes you say "Ah that's where he got his (talent/interest in politics/whatever)". Jerry Springer is, of course, British born so no problems there with his family history not being interesting or relevent. Again, Jerry has a huge fan base in this country. His programmes are really popular (although not with me).
Mags
margaretabram

Postby colliehouse » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:23 am

I don't agree either. Whatever I may think of the personality it is fascinating to see the story of their research and I try to find pointers to help my own research in each story. I also think it is sometimes the least likeable celebrities whose stories end up being most interesting. You never know Saddo, if you watch you just might find you moderate your view of him a bit.
colliehouse

Postby Annie08 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:56 am

I agree with Colliehouse.

And if you look away from the celebrity status of someone and just look at their family history story they are really just like you and me and I do see 'mirrors of my own family history' in some of the stories that have already been shown on the WDYTYA? series.

Annie08

Annie08

Postby worrals » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:43 am

I'm looking forward to the Boris show![;)]
worrals

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:50 pm

I wasn't a fan of David Dickinson but I watched his programme and he was much nicer as himself. I preferred the man himself compared to his televsion persona and his family history research was very moving.

Look past the TV persona and see the person and you may enjoy the programme.

Celebrities are human beings as well you know!

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby pre1837 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:10 am

For me, Boris's show was the best yet. So much detail and so interesting. Love to see a tree with all his present day Royal relatives.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby Jtyner » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:03 pm

i agree totally. would also love to see his tree, i have a few vons with german Extensions as surnames in my tree, no Van/Von Wurttenberg tho.
Jtyner

Postby pentre » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:10 pm

[quote]We want to know about English past ancestors and history [/quote]

The BBC has to provide a programme that entertains non-genealogists - I suspect ratings would soon fall if all they provided were endless trees of Ag Labs and Scullery Maids (my own family!!). By the same token, if they kept putting on programmes about celebs with royal connections that would be even more boring. I think the answer is to provide a decent mix of upstairs/downstairs, British and overseas.

Also, I think a great many ordinary people who think of themselves as totally British probably have all sorts of other nationalities mixed in. These programmes might motivate a lot of people to start researching their ancestors and finding a few surprises in their own closets.
pentre
pentre

Next

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat