Moderator Control Panel ]

Boris Johnson

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

RE: Boris Johnson

Postby Lou79 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:13 pm

I really enjoyed Boris' story. It was good to see him so excited about his discoveries. A lot better than last weeks. And how nice not to have loads of crying - I dont mind a bit but last weeks was a bit OTT ! What a shame they had sold the silver !!
Lou79

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:30 pm

Well you'd expect a woman to cry more than a man wouldn't you?

I don't think Patsy was over the top at all. She said she was a sentimental person. IMHO it's not a shameful thing to show your emotions. Boris showed his emotions by calling the Turks B****ds when he discovered what had happened to his ancestor!

If you'd been under the impression that your ancestors were criminal and had links with organised crime only to discover later that other ancestors were charitable and good, most people would shed a tear at that!

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby Lou79 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:06 pm

Not necessarily, some men in previous programmes have also cried. There is nothing wrong with with showing emotion, I just thought the Patsy programme could have cut some of it out and given us more of her story. She seemed to cry at every bit of information she was given! I just enjoyed Boris' story a lot more and hope the rest of the series is just as enjoyable.
Lou79

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:23 pm

But to be fair to Patsy, they kept making her read things out! If you have to read stuff out it is bound to make you emotional. I had to give a eulogy at my aunt's funeral so know the effect of reading stuff aloud can have on you.

I enjoyed Boris story too; but seeing Paty's emotional moments didn't spoil it for me and I think they gave you the best bits of Patsy's story anyway. They certainly packed a lot into her programme. They must have covered at least four or five people in Paty's story whereas in Boris story they really only concentrated on two people; but I thought they were both good programmes.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby pre1837 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:16 am

Let us hope that they include some of the unseen parts of Boris's story on one of the WDYTYA cover discs in the very near future as they have with some of the previous subjects.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby Annie08 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:06 am

Brilliant, great what can I say - another enjoyable episode.

Saddo - you missed a great episode.

Annie08
Annie08

Postby margaretabram » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:56 am

I read somewhere that there was 40 hours of filming for a one hour programme. I think there is at least another programme's worth there. Perhaps some subjects should be covered in more detail as the normal programme does not do them justice.

Boris was a great subject (please note Saddo). This series scores full marks so far.
Mags
margaretabram

Postby GenieDi » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:10 am

This was one of my favourite episodes. I really like Boris anyway, what a fabulous piece of research!
GenieDi

Postby Luchon » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:46 pm

I agree with colliehouse too.
My least favourite "celebs" have made the most fascinating viewing and the research process is always valuable. Even though the "Jewish question" has been covered several times it is always the reaction of the person to unsettling and disturbing information about their past which reveals much about them as an individual and makes the rest of us wonder how we would feel with such weighty information. How has Ester Rantzen since coped with her "survivor guilt", as she called it? I was no fan of her tv programmes but I was affected by her emotional response and acknowledgement of the "luck" that she exists at all. Boris was the Boris I only know from the media but he did have some redeeming moments.
Luchon

Previous

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat