Moderator Control Panel ]

Ellen Monk and George Abbott

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Ellen Monk and George Abbott

Postby Baggybooks » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:56 pm

On my grandmother's birth certificate (1910) her parents are 'George Abbott and Ellen Abbott (formerlly Monk)'.

As Monk was her Maiden name and she had been married once before, I have had difficulty tracing their marriage certificate.

I have found all the marriages between a George Abbott and an Ellen and from that, listed all the brides' surnames. I have then found all the marriages between an Ellen Monk and AN Other. Only one name cross-referred - I found that an Ellen Monk had married a Frederick Harris and then later, that an Ellen Harris had married a George Abbott.

Unfortunately, that certificate showed that Ellen Harris had been a spinster, rather than a widow.

I have looked country-wide, discounting the verbal tale of the East End of London being the family home for generations. I have also discounted the 2nd marriage theory - just in case Ellen Monk did marry a George Abbott. But no!

The only possibility not investigated, was that they weren't married and that my grandmother's certificate is wrong.

Where do I go now?

Helen
Helen - searching for Abbotts and Monks - East London - 1850's onwards!

Also Lingards - where are you all?
Baggybooks

RE: Ellen Monk and George Abbott

Postby paulberyl » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:06 am

Hi Helen,

A number of points all made with the caveats that mistakes do exist on certificates and sometimes people lie resulting in incorrect information being shown on certificates.

Firstly on a birth certificate for a child of a woman who has been previously married the mother's name is usually shown as [i]Current married name[/i], late (or previously) [i]Previous married name[/i], formerly [i]Maiden name.[/i] Therefore the birth certificate does not indicate a previous marriage. Did your grandmother have any siblings whose certificates you could obtain (or have) which confirms the information contained on your grandmother's certificate?

You say that your great-grandmother was married previously and I wonder where you obtained this information from? If this is the case I would not totally reject the marriage certificate between George Abbott and Ellen Harris, as I have said a mistake may have been made or there may have been a reason for hiding a previous marriage. On the two marriage certificates you have do the ages of Ellen tally? Is the father's name (at least forename) the same? Is the father's occupation the same on both marriage certificates you have?

Of course the possibilty exists that they were not married and the information on your grandmother's certificate is false.

With your grandmother born in 1910 you should be able to trace the family on the 1911 census, released next year, and this should provide the ages and birth places of your great-grandparents which should enable you to take your research further.

Paul
paulberyl

RE: Ellen Monk and George Abbott

Postby Baggybooks » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:13 am

Thanks.

The marriage certificate I have for George Abbott and Ellen Harris mentions that she was a spinster. There's no tie-in with the name Monk. However, the occupation for George is a Decorator - the birth certificate for George Abbott's daughter is House Painter.

I will obtain a sibling's certificate and see if there are any more clues.

Thanks again.

Helen
Helen - searching for Abbotts and Monks - East London - 1850's onwards!

Also Lingards - where are you all?
Baggybooks

Return to General research queries