Moderator Control Panel ]

Dna cms Help

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Dna cms Help

Postby Madge123 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:43 pm

Hello,

I have two,2nd cousins, brother and sister from the same family.
I share 50 cms with the brother and 169 cms with the sister. Is this normal to have such a difference
In cms when they are equally related to me.

Thanks for any information.

Kind regards,

Madge
Madge123

Re: Dna cms Help

Postby Mick Loney » Fri May 22, 2020 5:34 am

Yes, quite normal, because each person receives a variable proportion of their dna from their mother and the remainder from their father. So what they pass on to their own children is affected by what they have received from each parent.
The further two individuals are from their common ancestor, the wider the variation.
There are good books by Blaine T Bettinger and others, which explains this better than I.
Mick Loney

Postby Madge123 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:41 am

Hello,
Many thanks for your reply. Some how I think it’s going to be impossible to work out who my grandfather is on my fathers side. I do have a dna match to someone, he is coming up as 1st cousin once removed. I am positive he is on my fathers side. I am not sure where I go from there. What relative of his is related to me if he shows as a 1st cousin once removed. That’s if the probability is even correct.
I guess the only thing I have is we are related with 405 cms.

Any ideas?

Take care
Madge123

Postby HardWork » Fri May 22, 2020 9:09 am

A first cousin once removed would mean one of his parents is your first cousin, meaning in turn that you share at least one grandparent in common with one of his parents. That could be a grandparent of either sex.

Do you have any full brothers? If so, Y DNA testing may be the ultimate answer. That can only be taken by males as Y DNA is only passed from father to son, with very slow mutation rates. I found out my family line by doing that. I wasn't sure of my grandfather either, and still don't know his identity because he could be one of several brothers, but I do know now who my great grandfather was.

It all depends who has tested though and it isn't as cheap as autosomal testing. The latter is more popular through saturation advertising but Y DNA can be just as useful but unfortunately is too often neglected, generally because it is less well publicised. The leading company for Y DNA testing is Family Tree DNA.

To return to your direct problem, you need to see the family tree of the man who you match to identify his great grandparents and to do likewise with those that you can on your family lines, and try to see also what matches you share in common.
HardWork

Postby Madge123 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:38 am

Thank you so much for your reply. It is actually my Full Brother who took the dna test ,so these are his results.

The problem is the results are only a probability so knowing where to start is the problem. We are also related to his half sisters children, his half nieces and nephews. With much less cms.

I will reread your email and see what I can do and where to start.

The three people we are connected to all have the same mother but different fathers, but share the same Grandparents on their mothers side.

You tend to go around in circles and end up where you first started.

Complicated I know,

Madge
Madge123

Postby Madge123 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:50 am

Sorry, for some reason it won’t let me attach a file.

Closest match with 403 cms. 87% possible match 1st cousin once removed or 1st half cousin.

We then have this mans half nephews from two different half sisters coming in at 187 cms and 190cms. They are showing up as possible 2nd cousins twice removed or 2nd cousins.

The highest match Mother had three children with three different men, we are matching with all 3.
One being her son and two being her Grandchildren.

I am so confused so I don’t really think you will understand A bit boggled by it all

Many Thanks
Madge123

Postby HardWork » Fri May 22, 2020 11:04 am

Madge123,

I've sent you a private message to see if I can help you crack this problem.
HardWork

Postby Madge123 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:29 am

I have sent you an email, unfortunately I can’t seem to reply on PM.

May go into your Junk mail.
Madge123

Return to General research queries