Moderator Control Panel ]

How am I related to the three people

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

How am I related to the three people

Postby Madge123 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:45 pm

Hello ,

Thank you for looking at this. I have not put the correct names as most are still alive.

I am trying to find out who my Grandfather was On my Late fathers side. I seem to have Dna matches with the following people who are not on my mothers side.

I have spent so long searching and working things out I am need Of fresh eyes

Many thanks.

Madge
Madge123

Re: How am I related to the three people

Postby meekhcs » Wed May 20, 2020 12:26 am

Have you looked at The Shared cM Project by Blaine Bettinger at thegeneticgenealogist.com

He has produced charts to show how you may possibly match to another person according to the no. if cM you share. Version 4 is the latest chart which you can view on the latest chart.

Did you take a stand alone test or have you linked it to a tree at Ancestry, My Heritage or the like.

There is no easy way to do this and with the cMs you have quoted they could be quite distant in your tree. But it is a case of eliminating everyone you can link, which you say you have done, and then building your tree out until you can link the others in.

If you used Ancestry then the shared matches and common ancestors may help you find the “ Family” groupings that your unknown DNA matches belong to.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Wed May 20, 2020 12:28 am

Sorry second paragraph should say you can view his latest chart on the above web page.

meekhcs

Postby Madge123 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:01 am

Thank you so much for your reply,

The information was taken from my dna with ancestry. The problem I am having, they are giving me a probability of my highest match as being a 1st /2nd cousin. What I am actually trying to work out is who my grandfather was. I believe this match is the key. What I am trying to work out Is who in his family is my Grandfather and how he becomes a 1st or 2nd cousin. Once I find this out I am sure I will find out who my Grandfather was.

I know these matches are not from my Mothers side so it’s just trying to find the link.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Take care,

Madge
Madge123

Postby meekhcs » Wed May 20, 2020 8:36 am

Hello Madge

I had the opposite problem to you. I thought I knew who my Grandfather was but my DNA results through Ancestry told me something completely different!

I had loads of matches in the 160-200 cM range, all people I didn’t know, and I had researched my Family extensively!

Some of them reached out to me, and I reached out to the others.

We pooled our knowledge and I put together a messy ( ie unverified) tree and eventually fitted everyone in. It was hard work and took a couple of months of non stop work.

Please be aware that a certain level of matching does not necessarily mean a certain relative match eg 1C, 2C exactly, and certainly not as Ancestry predicts.

So in my tree I have one person who I match at 203cM but is my 3rd cousin and another who I match at 199 cM who is my 1st cousin 1R and another at 190 who is my 3 cousin. It all depends on how much DNA is passed to a child by each of its parents. 2 to 3 generations on and the differences can be amazing which is why Blaine shows such a wide range per relative on his chart, which is widening all the time.

You take care too and Good Luck

meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Wed May 20, 2020 9:00 am

Another trick I used was to look at the electoral rolls for these people to see if any of the place names registered with me.

In the case of my own research I was really lucky because the people who looked to be involved from my DNA results lived on the same Farm for 20 years!

meekhcs

Postby Madge123 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:15 am

Thank you so much for your reply,

The information was taken from my dna with ancestry. The problem I am having, they are giving me a probability of my highest match as being a 1st /2nd cousin. What I am actually trying to work out is who my grandfather was. I believe this match is the key. What I am trying to work out Is who in his family is my Grandfather and how he becomes a 1st or 2nd cousin. Once I find this out I am sure I will find out who my Grandfather was.

I know these matches are not from my Mothers side so it’s just trying to find the link.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Take care,

Madge
Madge123

Postby Madge123 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:23 am

I think I am looking for a man who is related to my match. I had no idea these people are but they have been helpful to a point.

My late fathers birth certificate had no fathers name listed. He took his mothers name.

Very difficult I f I can’t find out for sure what relationship I have with this match.
I have been working on this for months and honestly think I know more about this family than they know.

We also have dna matches with his cousins, off his half sisters. The dna cms are less than with them. His Mother had three children from three different men just to add to the already complicated situation.
Madge123

Postby meekhcs » Wed May 20, 2020 9:38 am

Have you tried putting your DNA results into MyHeritage??
You can do it for free.
It will certainly throw up some different matches which may help you move this along.

meekhcs

Return to General research queries