Moderator Control Panel ]

Birth USA/Canada (Niagara) — ROBINSON

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Birth USA/Canada (Niagara) — ROBINSON

Postby Shmorganzola » Sun May 17, 2020 5:58 pm

I am looking for a US/Canada birth/baptism of THOMAS (?) ROBINSON, 1893-1898, but I don't understand US/Can resources. I thought a 'GRO' index might be available, but I'm flumoxed.

Background
Parents = William Frederick ROBINSON* + Amelia "Millicent" née MORGAN
Marriage = 28th Sept 1893, Suspension Bridge (nr. Niagara), NY
NY Marriage Index = 18160 (Ancestry)
*Sometimes reversed order as Frederick William.

Father died 5 Feb 1898 (Niagara Falls, NY).
Mother is British, baptised as a Roman Catholic.
Mother and child return to the UK July 1898.

Child Notes
Must be born before 1898.
Child's Christian name may not be Thomas — this is assumed from other records.
Not sure if US- or Canada-born (on border).

What I've checked without success
Familysearch online (NY and Canada records).
Niagara Falls newspapers (https://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html).
Ancestry, FMP, Genealogist.

I suspect that Lockport records might be useful, but no idea how to access them.

Any advice for this area very gratefully received. Thanks. Ant
Shmorganzola

Re: Birth USA/Canada (Niagara) — ROBINSON

Postby MoVidger » Sun May 17, 2020 8:18 pm

The USA doesn't have a centralised "GRO" index. In the USA, Vital records most commonly refer to records such as birth and death certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees, wills and the like. These records are created and usually held by local authorities.

Use this link for guidance, but it usually takes months to receive a certificate copy, and that was before COVID-19. https://www.newyorkfamilyhistory.org/ne ... al-records

Do you know Thomas' date of birth? Hopefully he was still alive during the 1939 Register. Does the 1898 Passenger record to the UK mention his age?

Ancestry has three Robinson birth index records in Niagra Falls, including the one below. There's also one for Wealthy Robinson (16 July 1895) and Oscar Robinson (12 May 1896).

New York State, Birth Index, 1881-1942
Name: Robinson
Birth Date: 7 Sep 1896
Birth Place: Niagara Falls, New York, USA
Certificate Number: 39263

I note from the 1892 census the father was Canadian. Was Amelia already in Niagra Falls by 1892? Or was she residing in Canada until their marriage? Like you suggest, Thomas may have been born in Canada.

You've probably seen it already - Ancestry has the father's Probate record with 1-page image:

New York, Wills and Probate Records, 1659-1999
Name: William F Robinson
Probate Date: 14 Jun 1898
Probate Place: Niagara, New York, USA
Item Description: Administrations, Vol 0010-11
Last edited by MoVidger on Mon May 18, 2020 3:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
MoVidger

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:31 pm

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Shmorganzola » Mon May 18, 2020 8:42 am

Thanks to you both for the very helpful thoughts and advice. Now I know more about the US Vital Records.

Specific points:

(a) Thomas died in 1916. 2 previous censuses place his DOB 1896-1898, so the 'Male Robinson' could be useful (I had missed this on Ancestry, so thanks). Is there any other way of checking the maiden name of the mother from the index without ordering the certificate? Seems a stab in the dark otherwise, and prices have rocketed recently.

(b) The 1892 census of his father... There are several William/Fred Robinsons in the area so I am not sure which one is him (I know nothing about him except from the Death and Probate).

(c) Not yet found a passenger manifest, sadly.

Thanks for your great help.

A
Shmorganzola

Postby MoVidger » Mon May 18, 2020 1:17 pm

When I've searched for US Vital birth records I don't recall seeing the mother's maiden name in an online index. But each State's online index could be different. It wasn't until the early 1900’s that most states began recording BMD events.

I'm wondering if the "Male Robinson" 1896 birth record represents an infant who died? Hence the lack of a first name.

What details are you after from Thomas' birth record? DoB and/or full name? (I have a 1930 Vital birth record for a relative -- it includes the same basic info as a UK birth record, but in a different format).

As for the 1892 NY State census, I presumed the William F. Robinson (born 1862 in Canada) was your man. Occupation: Clerk. That's why I asked if Amelia was living in the area by 1892. When did she go to North America?
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Tue May 19, 2020 6:26 pm

I believe the William F. Robinson (born 1862 Canada) from the 1892 NY census warrants further consideration. Here's why:

1. Family Search has an 1897 Land Assessment transaction in Niagara between William and Marlowe W Robinson, who also appears near William in the 1892 census. They are brothers.

2. Both men can be found in the 1870, 1875, and 1880 census reports in Niagara Falls. Father is Thomas W Robinson (widower) born c1835 in New York. Occupations: Drayman, Livery Owner.

3. The 1870 census with the Robinson family indicates the nearest Post Office is "Suspension Bridge" - which is the location of the Robinson/Morgan marriage in 1893.

4. Family Search also have several 1898 Land Assessment transactions for Millicent M. Robinson.

Thomas W Robinson (1834-1894) is buried in Oakwood Cemetary, Niagara Falls. His wife Cinderella (nee Smith) died in 1868.

Marlow(e) Robinson died in Niagara Falls in 1903. Another brother, Charles Augustus Robinson, died in Philadelphia in 1953.
MoVidger

Postby Shmorganzola » Tue May 19, 2020 7:45 pm

Dear MoVidger,

I am utterly staggered by your work, I had no idea that such Land records even existed, much less that they are on Familysearch. Thank you so much. I don't know where to find these, but I'm sure I will be able to locate them.

The Millicent M Robinson record strikes me as likely to be her too, as she retained her maiden name, Morgan, as a middle name.

In one fell swoop you may have located WFR's family too.

I am incredibly grateful and humbled by your ingenuity and endeavour.

Kind regards,

A
Shmorganzola

Postby Shmorganzola » Tue May 19, 2020 7:54 pm

Dear MoVidger,

Apologies, I missed your other post.

An excellent thought that the Male Infant may have died.

A Thomas Robinson died in WW1 in 1916, I've been trying to find his background.
Therefore, I am trying to link Private Thomas Robinson to potential parents, Wm Fred and Millicent.
I mainly guess his DOB from his age at death (confirmed, broadly, by UK censuses).

According to court reports, Amelia/Millicent Morgan went to USA in 1878 (she was only 9 years old, so likely a one of the Home Children migrants —TBC).

Thanks,

A
Shmorganzola

Postby Shmorganzola » Tue May 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Dear MoVidger,

I am sorry, but I am drawing a blank on the Land Assessment Records (I only bring up UK records). I am clearly missing something. Would you be able to post the link for me please?

Thanks very much,

Regards,

A
Shmorganzola

Postby MoVidger » Tue May 19, 2020 9:50 pm

I've included one of the Land Assessment record links below, but just in case it doesn't work...
FYI: These records also have images, some of which include the actual property addresses in question.

United States, New York Land Records, 1630-1975
Event Type: Land Assessment
Event Date: 1897
Event Place: Niagara, New York, United States
Page Number: 548
Entry Number: 228
Grantor's Name: Marlowe W Robinson
Grantee's Name: William F Robinson
Record Number: 39

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:7FF8-XZN2

I found these records by accident. In the "ANY" category, just search on name, place (Niagara Falls), and year(s). Amongst the search results you'll see these Land Records.

If it turns out this is your William F Robinson's family, I don't think it gets any better than having a mother named "Cinderella"! ;)
MoVidger

Next

Return to General research queries