Moderator Control Panel ]

Birth USA/Canada (Niagara) — ROBINSON

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Birth USA/Canada (Niagara) — ROBINSON

Postby MoVidger » Wed May 20, 2020 6:19 pm

Just a thought: if Amelia migrated to the USA c1878 she wouldn't have been part of the "Home Children" scheme. Only Commonwealth countries were involved, I believe.
MoVidger

Postby Shmorganzola » Wed May 20, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi,

All excellent thoughts. My understanding is that BHC children did indeed end up in the US (maybe via Canada initially?), because we do have others in our tree that settled there.

As for Amelia's background, it's a long (but interesting) story. Father = Samuel MORGAN. He became a Redcoat in the Army, married an Irish lass during the Fenian Uprising. Amelia was born while he was stationed on the Isle of Wight. In the 1871, Amelia is in Gibraltar with them.

Mother dies in Malta, and he decides to leave Army and return to home (Gloucester) in 1874. Not sure why Amelia is sent away (other children are not).

If you could clarify the Thos Robinson biography links, I'd be very pleased. Thanks.
Shmorganzola

Postby MoVidger » Wed May 20, 2020 8:17 pm

It's in a Google book and I'm not very good with posting those links. :? But if you google "Thomas W Robinson" + this title "Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Niagara County, New York" you should see the search result. His bio is on pages 595-596.

One last question: Why does Amelia use Millicent on documents (e.g. marriage and land records)? Also, where and when did she die? Did she give up son Thomas for adoption?

I'm determined to find her in the 1880/1881 and 1892 census records. :D Did she go by an other names besides Amelia and Millicent?
MoVidger

Postby Shmorganzola » Wed May 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Thanks for the Google book hint !

Love your enthusiasm.

Not sure why she goes by Millicent sometimes. My best guess is because Milly/Millie is a diminutive of Amelia, and it morphed into Millicent (or perhaps an Official named her thus, and it had to be kept?). No other names that I know of.

She marries a Gloucester rogue (after her US money, I think) one month after stepping off the trans-Atlantic ship, they separate but she has a child by him in 1899. In April 1900 she dies in a poor area of Glos, aged just 30. With C-19, not been able to order the death certificate.

Because of her death, I believe Thomas Robinson junior is adopted by neighbours (this is what I am trying to prove).
Shmorganzola

Postby MoVidger » Thu May 21, 2020 1:53 pm

No sign of Amelia/Millicent in the NY State 1892 census. This is assuming she wasn't in Canada at the time. There may be three reasons for this:

1. She may have been an inmate in an institution. However, inmates weren't recorded until the NY State 1915 census.

2. She may have been in an almshouse or poor house. Niagara County did have one in the 19th-century. In 1915 it became an infirmary. Ancestry has this collection: New York, Census of Inmates in Almshouses and Poorhouses, 1830-1920

3. The 1892 census does not cover the entire population of the state of New York. Also, there are some NY counties for which the population schedules are missing or lost.

Changing the subject: I wonder why Thomas Robinson (father) made Marlowe the executor of his will (and not William)?

Also, is young Thomas with the Beard family in the 1901 & 1911 census? I don't think they were neighbours, as you suspect. I believe they are relatives of the man she married in 1898, on his mother's side. Her maiden name was Beard.
MoVidger

Postby Shmorganzola » Thu May 21, 2020 6:29 pm

Thanks (as ever) for the ongoing tales of enlightenment. You have caught up incredibly fast with the story.

Yes, the Beards are the ones I was referring to. I simplified the story for clarity: I too thought that they might actually be relatives, but via the Morgans (there is also a marriage there too; I was trying to figure that out as well, but I will now divert energies towards the Limbricks — if that is what you have been delving into — as it seems closer).

Thanks for the Almshouse background very helpful, esp. because I didn't know that Insititutions were excluded from the census.

I'm playing catch-up here, only read Thomas's probate a few moments before your musing over Why Marlow? Perhaps Amelia/Millicent was frowned upon.

All wonderful, thanks.
Shmorganzola

Previous

Return to General research queries