Moderator Control Panel ]

Birth USA/Canada (Niagara) — ROBINSON

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Birth USA/Canada (Niagara) — ROBINSON

Postby Shmorganzola » Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 pm

Wonderful, thanks so much! All utterly fascinating.

I know, great, name ! I think I SHALL go to the Ball now :)
Shmorganzola

Postby MoVidger » Tue May 19, 2020 10:51 pm

Are you familiar with the Library and Archives Canada government website? Their database includes three Amelia Morgan's who were sent to Canada via the "Home Children" scheme.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/ ... me=amelia&
MoVidger

Postby Shmorganzola » Tue May 19, 2020 10:59 pm

I think I am going to have to start paying you, this is wonderful thank you!

Ironically, I had searched this database some years ago for a different family line, but I had not yet got around to doing it for Amelia yet.

I don't know whether to tell you to stop or not :o :lol:

Thank you, A
Shmorganzola

Postby MoVidger » Tue May 19, 2020 11:04 pm

No worries. Sometimes I get on a roll with a person or family. Plus I have direct ancestors from the New York/Canadian border region. So I'm used to New York State records.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Tue May 19, 2020 11:16 pm

Looks like Amelia sailing on the Polynesian might be your girl. Destination was Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. Was Amelia originally from Liverpool then? Did she die shortly after she and Thomas arrived in the UK?

Interesting article: https://niagaranow.com/entertainment.ph ... stern-home
MoVidger

Postby Shmorganzola » Tue May 19, 2020 11:24 pm

Thanks a lot, you certainly do know your way around these.

Actually, I think clutch of 3 Amelias you found are too old and migrate too early. They are in their late-teens ca. 1872, whereas my lass migrated in 1878, aged 9 (b. 1869). Unless I am missing something? A good thought though. I couldn't find any Morgans around 1878 ± 4 yrs.
Shmorganzola

Postby MoVidger » Tue May 19, 2020 11:31 pm

Possibly the wrong girls, but at least the article link I included (as an update) will provide further info regarding these orphans who arrived in Niagara Falls. Who knew that the Peckham orphanage was called the "Little Gutter Girls' Home". :o :lol: Hmm...interesting choice of words.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Wed May 20, 2020 3:37 pm

Thomas Robinson owned several business and residential rental properties in Niagara. At one point, he was proprietor of Niagara Bottling Works on Second Street. This would explain the various NY Land Record transactions between the sons and Amelia/Millicent.

Let me know if you need early biographical details for Thomas and his parents, which I've found. Interestingly, his son Charles Augustus was a photographer circa 1892.

The Robinson's seem quite a prominent Niagara Falls family by 1890, so there should be various local newspaper announcements (etc) for them.

I'm unable to find Amelia/Millicent in the 1880 or 1892 census reports. She doesn't appear to be in the 1881 or 1891 Canadian census either. (I do wonder if the 1880 census for Niagara Falls is online. The census for Niagara County is).
MoVidger

Postby Shmorganzola » Wed May 20, 2020 4:29 pm

Thanks again ! This is turning out to be quite a tale.

How did you identify Thos R's involvement in the company? Newspaper articles? If so where? I am very curious.

Thanks for trying to search for Amelia. I too had not been able to unequivocally identify her in censuses. Hm, good point about the NF census. I will scout about.

BW, A
Shmorganzola

Postby MoVidger » Wed May 20, 2020 5:51 pm

Do you know where Amelia is from and/or her parents? You mention Court records indicate she migrated in 1878 as a child. Do you have her in the UK 1871 census?

Having said that, where is Amelia/Millicent in the 1892 NY State census? Unless she was in Canada, she should be on that census.
MoVidger

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries