Moderator Control Panel ]

Marie Elizabeth Lynn/Glynn, Ireland - Australia

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Marie Elizabeth Lynn/Glynn, Ireland - Australia

Postby devonliz » Sat May 09, 2020 7:43 pm

Elizabeth Lynn was born in 1871 but after her mother died in 1872, she was brought up by her mother's family in Co Antrim.
She married Dr Robert Glynn in 1897 (where?) and they founded a dynasty in South Australia - the first child was born on 1898, the last in 1911. I already know quite a lot about the family, but the earlier years elude me at present.
I believe that Robert McMahon Glynn was also born 1871, in Co Galway. Where did he do his medical training? Dublin, Glasgow, Edinburgh, perhaps even London? How did he meet Elizabeth - was she a nurse?
Can the forum solve this before the guillotine comes down?!
devonliz

Re: Marie Elizabeth Lynn/Glynn, Ireland - Australia

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 09, 2020 7:56 pm

You'll no doubt be familiar with his 1928 newspaper obit on Trove, but just in case:

"Dr. Robert McMahon Glynn, who died at the age of 57 years at his home at Riverton on Sunday was a native of Galway, Ireland. He came to South Australia 32 years ago and first practised at Kapunda with his brother, the late Dr. Eugene Glynn. He was a brother of the Hon. P. McMahon Glynn, K.C.

Dr. Glynn obtained the fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, and the diplomas of opthalmology and oto-laryngology of the conjoint colleges of London.
He also studied a year in Berlin and Vienna, and was house surgeon at the Royal Eye Hospital, London and Birmingham and Midland Ear and Throat Hospital".
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 09, 2020 8:22 pm

Here is the wiki page for his brother Patrick McMahon Glynn KC. It indicates the family was from Gort.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Glynn

According to her newspaper death mention in the Belfast News-Letter 09 September 1937:
"Elizabeth Lynn, Carrickfergus, widow of the late Dr Robert McMahon Glynn of Riverton, South Australia".
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 09, 2020 8:38 pm

FMP has the 1897 marriage although groom's middle name is different. Perhaps if you obtain the marriage record, it might indicate what Marie's occupation was (if any).

South Australia Marriages 1842-1937
First name(s) Marie Elizabeth
Last name Lynn
Marital status Single/Spinster
Age 24
Birth year 1873
Marriage date 11 Nov 1897
Place Presbytery Goodwood
District Adelaide
State South Australia
Father's first name(s) William
Father's last name Lynn
Spouse's first name(s) Robert Vincent
Spouse's last name Glynn
Spouse's marital status Single/Spinster
Spouse's age 26
Spouse's birth year 1871
Registration number 193/493
MoVidger

Postby devonliz » Sat May 09, 2020 9:02 pm

Thank you MoVidger - what a fantastic response! and what an interesting family - I will try to get the marriage certificate as I know that Australian records contain a lot of useful information.
devonliz

Return to General research queries